My 12L: An Iwagumi style Nature Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright, got home tonight from a business trip and tank and light were waiting on me. The LEDs look very bright - especially at a 10" depth. I think they will work out nicely. The light is even better than I had hoped for. The tank is also amazing. The glass is slightly more tinted than an ADA tank, but so far the GLA rimless looks like a nice alternative. It is also so much longer than I had envisioned. Lots of possibilities with the layout!

Substrate is ADA Amazonia powder black.

Here is my first attempt at a layout - constructive feedback please! I am not going to put water in until I get it just right. The Oyaishi looks good on the right. I am thinking the Fukuishi is not going to work with this layout - I am not sure mixing of the stones looks right. Like I said, any opinions are welcome!

19738-albums2809-picture18255.jpg

19738-albums2809-picture18254.jpg

Last edited:
Yes... I was thinking the same. The big rock on the left may need swapped with the medium sized rock just right of it. Do you think that would do it?
Edit: or perhaps it is too much hardscape? Remove a stone or 2?

Last edited:
Looks nice fort! :)

Now, to the tank...
I am no aquascaper so you can take my opinion as a grain of salt, but IMO I think you have a bit too many rocks in there. I would take out one of the bigger rocks (perhaps the one on the left), and replace it with two or three medium-sized rocks that make some sort of formation like that of the bigger rock but you can still distinguish the different sizes and shapes.

JMO. Do whatever you want :)

I think that the number of rocks might not necessarily be a problem.... but they're too spaced out IMO.

Here's what I'm seeing: Try to go for a slanting look, with the right side higher than the left. Then make a rock pile of sorts at about the right third, with various smaller/medium rocks in the open area to the left.

Iwagumi isn't my favorite type of tank set up so don't take this to heart but I'd only use one type of stones. Maybe slope off center to the right like Chem said while using a good mounding technique. Plant wide leaf stem plants close to the glass with small leave plants on the backside to make rocks seem like a distant mountain range. With glosso or pearl grass sloping up to the rocks to look like a forest beneath the mountains. Maybe put a hint of white cosmetic sand on the top of the highest formation to give it a snow capped mountain feel. All in all that tank is awesome! What brand of LEDs is that?

Hmmm, a nice stem bush would look nice. Maybe a rotala species or another bushy species.

I probably wouldn't recommend glosso (it's such a pain, IMO), but I'm definitely feeling HC.

I just want to say Fort is the best person around for plants and tanks like this, I am really looking forward to the end product

This Jason. Hopefully it comes out well. Still fumbling wit the hard scape.... Will post some updated photos for opinions later.

PM Sent. I actually moved a little closer to him so I might even be able to pick it up and mail it to you. I'll let you know when I hear back from him.

Looking forward to seeing your build progress. Your tanks are always stunning to say the least. Remember, don't smash this new tank into anything! ;)

Ok, first rearrangement. Tried to get rid of some of the symmetry. I like it better - but am still not 100% satisfied.

19738-albums2809-picture18270.jpg

Last edited:
fort384 said:
Ok, first rearrangement. Tried to get rid of some of the symmetry. I like it better - but am still not 100% convinced.

I like it! except the three larger rocks are too symmetrical now. The two outer stones, on either side of the larger middle stone, are the same. Maybe rotate/move the stone on the left (one closer to the middle)? JMO :)

I think Mumma's got it. I would rotate the one on the left a bit (the sheer cliff side kind looks weird to me) and maybe move the one on the right such that it is ~50% eclipsed by the big rock.

My other thought is your little three rock pile on the left. Maybe try removing the smallest one and fiddling with the remaining two?

Back
Top Bottom