My 150g Riparium... (Picture heavy)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, this is cool. I love these things. That would look great with some activity at the top. Maybe some white tree frogs. ;) But nice job by the way.

Oh I like that idea!! Craig you should so do it!

Well after a huge 95% waterchange yesterday and the starting to feed live foods the large pair has finally taken on some colors. Sorry the pics aren't better but I had just happened to walk by and this is what I saw. They were out hunting the black worms from yesterday afternoon that were left over.

img_1087052_0_bf8500230e660036553524d7087abce9.jpg

img_1087052_1_f6c3ad34aa1607fd8d555fca2d9562b5.jpg

img_1087052_2_e50146cf3952497d5113af80c6644e54.jpg

img_1087052_3_1bf83f43ef3d0534198831aedfb4fb21.jpg

img_1087052_4_435716241b734b710bf40879bd76ba41.jpg

Craig

And FedEx said let there be 3 lights again!

img_1087377_0_bbabd064676274c4e57d8301c24527fd.jpg

img_1087377_1_30620aee76a0838afde2e676f1294975.jpg

img_1087377_2_5d681d7cb1cfa9ef1b6cf31a95e20e55.jpg

img_1087377_3_2471e22b58fa0f583e108f0b3c219738.jpg

img_1087377_4_b232401b4dc78090613b8e9f746740f9.jpg

img_1087377_5_8d4bd05d1948dc7ddd7771b71ea7dad9.jpg

img_1087377_6_03273d95f8eac9b46ba7f34b111a236e.jpg

img_1087377_7_dbc98ed6db0c021cff0d8df01ddd4984.jpg

Woohoo all back up and running!

Craig

I am absolutely in love with your tank. It gets my vote as the best tank I have seen on here! (Sorry everyone else LOL) :D

Wow awesome! I personally dont like riparium (maybe if i saw one closer i would), and if it had like little frogs in it I might like it more. But yours blew me away.

Wow awesome! I personally dont like riparium (maybe if i saw one closer i would), and if it had like little frogs in it I might like it more. But yours blew me away.

Frogs not so good in a Riparium as there is no land area for them. Frogs really need a Terrarium or a Paludarium to survive.

Craig

Actually i have kept frogs successfully in a Riparium. As long as you have plenty of driftwood sticking out of the water and also what species you got. They also would not mind some vines but i think vines in the background as a backdrop would look cool. Another note have you thought about making a misting system to simulate dew over the water during early morning. Because that would look cool.

Actually i have kept frogs successfully in a Riparium. As long as you have plenty of driftwood sticking out of the water and also what species you got. They also would not mind some vines but i think vines in the background as a backdrop would look cool. Another note have you thought about making a misting system to simulate dew over the water during early morning. Because that would look cool.

I've thought about a misting setup but the trick is setting it up so everything is invisible with nothing coming out over the tanks rim. Also working with Devin from Riparium Supply he recommended against it with my current plant suggestions. Now if I went to higher humidity plants like crypts it would work great. I do keep looking at misting setups but have a hard time finding something that would do what I wanted. I've considered using a rainbird system and setting up a bunch of varried drip emmiters so that it would create a rainy type look and it could come on randomly.

As for viny I've got pothos currently and will be getting some Lawn Marsh Pennywort which vines really well.

Pictures of your Riparium and what frogs did you keep?

Craig

Craig i cant stop looking at the pictures its different and the first riparium i ever seen.

I hope you get a chance to try some Red Root Floater in there. I think that it would look absolutely stunning.

I hope you get a chance to try some Red Root Floater in there. I think that it would look absolutely stunning.

Actually had some Red Root Floaters in there and didn't like them as much as the duckweed, I know it sounds wierd.

Craig

The issue is putting frogs in a Riparium is that is varies from tnak to tank. because it depends on how much ground you have, which is rare in a Riparium. Yours has not that much land as the only land in there is a pot holding plants. Mine i made a corner of land. Some species of tree frogs would do well in that set up. What i put in my Riparium is some small grey tree frogs. My suggestions for frogs would be some

-red eye tree frogs
Amphibian Care >> Red-eyed Tree Frog Frog (Agalychnis callidryas) Care
-green tree frogs
Amphibian Care >> Green Tree Frog (Hyla cinerea) Care

The only issue i see in this set up especially even though it is a issue in alot of things which is feeding. As the crickets you would feed would be happy for a while then they would jump in the water and drown. The duckweed might help with that but in the end for you it might be more trouble. You might be able to make a floating dish that you could put mealworms in. Honestly though, i dont think you should do it, but that is up too you.

My Riparium is long gone and i never too photos.

Thanks, I hadn't planned on them but like to see what others have done in the past. Feeding wouldn't honestly be that hard as all I feed is live foods anyways so what the frogs didn't eat would probably get eaten by the fish.

Craig

Also may i suggest some of these in the background as they are a little more sturdier and look natural and would work well with he frogs. Besides you could put things like air plants on them that flower. That would look cool. It would kinda give you a background.
Real jungle vines for use in reptile terrariums and vivariums

You could do a misting system like this but is simulates more of a rain, but it dosent matter as the point is to get the humidity up and this helps frog and plant.
YouTube - dartfrogs in the rain

Personally though i prefer 1 like this which can be done with a humidifier. I prefer this because it simulates fog more.
YouTube - Poison Dart Frog Fogger Set Up

YouTube - Fogging System for Tree Frog Vivarium

Put it on a timer and let it run 3 or 4 times a day. The only thing i see as a problem is you need to find a way to keep humidity in. Like a glass top.

That last video is really sweet! With my plant selections though I don't need the extra humidity, as I chose plants that do best in moderate humidity, some of these plants will wither or become droopy with too much humidty.

Craig

lol, that seems funny when you say that too much water on the plant will kill it. Ya, i honestly with your plant selection that you have and everything you should stay away from a frog because they do need misting in the tank 2 to 3 times a day to keep humidity up. I do like the idea about getting some of thost natural vines though and sticking air plants on them, because like 1 big air plant in the back that flowers would look cool. just my 2 cents. Nice job though.

Back
Top Bottom