My 20G Long FW Planted Tank Build/Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daileene

Planted Tank Addict
Okay, so I thought I was done with my MTS but I was wrong. I was looking at craigslist one day and found a very good deal that I just couldn't pass.

I got me my biggest tank so far and probably the last, a 20G long. I got it for $15 with a heater and a small net (I know). I have been told that a 20G long is a very good tank to do a planted tank so I am really excited. The guy did say that he bought this tank 2 years ago and used it as a sump for his reef tank. But cleaned the tank prior to selling. Is there any other things I need to do to make it safer for my soon to be planted tank?

Another thing is, I need to pick up a lighting and filter for this baby. What are your recommendations my dear experts? I do like to get an affordable one coz of financial matters. So your suggestions is greatly appreciated...

Thanks all in advance. Here is the look of the tank. I haven't done anything to it yet. Got it last Sunday, July 17.

Attachments

• 3k93p63l55O15V05X4b6q3ed92d744c101ce6.jpg
    3k93p63l55O15V05X4b6q3ed92d744c101ce6.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,328
Yeah! So excited for you! :) I'd certainly recommend an Aquaclear 50 for filtration. I have one of those on all three of my 20 gals and I've had no complaints with their performance.

As far as lighting is concerned- what type of plants are you looking for? (low light, med light?) You really have a lot of options as far as fixtures go- all depends on how much light you want and how much you want to spend. My boys have 20 gal longs and the one has a T8 light on it with a 20W replacement bulb. The other tank has a T5 light a single 18W bulb. Both are planted and doing well. Their anubias grow new leaves at a fairly rapid pace and they've even been sustaining some rotala and ludwiga trimming from my tanks. Very little algae issues to speak of and the lights run for quite a few hours a day. My 20 high has a T5 fixture with dual 24w bulbs. It sits on the glass top of the tank at about 16" off the substrate, it runs about 10 hrs a day, and I've had very minimal algae issues. Now with the height of about 13", it's the opinion of many that a dual T5HO light would be too much light (w/o C02) for a 20 long. You certainly would have to use the leg supports that the fixture comes with to raise it up a bit and would probably have to resort to a shortened photoperiod. I picked up a 20 gal long a few weeks ago at a yardsale and still have my 30" T5 light that was on my 37 gal, so I plan to give it a go sometime in the future just to see if it can be managed.

Hello,

What did you wash the tank out with?
I would recommend a aquaclear filter, if you are looking for cheap, AC30.

Yeah! So excited for you! :) I'd certainly recommend an Aquaclear 50 for filtration. I have one of those on all three of my 20 gals and I've had no complaints with their performance.

As far as lighting is concerned- what type of plants are you looking for? (low light, med light?) You really have a lot of options as far as fixtures go- all depends on how much light you want and how much you want to spend. My boys have 20 gal longs and the one has a T8 light on it with a 20W replacement bulb. The other tank has a T5 light a single 18W bulb. Both are planted and doing well. Their anubias grow new leaves at a fairly rapid pace and they've even been sustaining some rotala and ludwiga trimming from my tanks. Very little algae issues to speak of and the lights run for quite a few hours a day. My 20 high has a T5 fixture with dual 24w bulbs. It sits on the glass top of the tank at about 16" off the substrate, it runs about 10 hrs a day, and I've had very minimal algae issues. Now with the height of about 13", it's the opinion of many that a dual T5HO light would be too much light (w/o C02) for a 20 long. You certainly would have to use the leg supports that the fixture comes with to raise it up a bit and would probably have to resort to a shortened photoperiod. I picked up a 20 gal long a few weeks ago at a yardsale and still have my 30" T5 light that was on my 37 gal, so I plan to give it a go sometime in the future just to see if it can be managed.

Hi Alisha. Thank you so much for your recommendations. I think I would go with the Aquaclear 50. It seems like everybody (experts) is recommending that one, so I know it is quite good.

With regards to the lighting, did you use the bulbs that came in with the hood? Were they the good bulbs for the plants? I am looking to grow low-medium light plants still coz I am still not comfortable doing CO2. I am leaning towards the T5 light a single 18W bulb but can you change the bulb into a higher wattage or is the 18W perfect already?

Thank you so much for all your information. :-D

Have a 20H and getting good results with a T5 double. Would imagine an 18 W T5 single would be ok in a 20 L

How about this light? 30in 2Bulbs fixtures
They also offer at 4 bulb fixture. I have never owned one of there lights but everyone recommends them.

Hi. I actually like this one too. But would you know what is the best combination of bulbs and Ks for a low-medium lighting plants?

Like, would 2 white bulbs that are both 10000k be too much? Or should I combine 1 white and 1 blue both in 10000k? Or is it better to have one of them in 6700K? Thanks!

Hello,

What did you wash the tank out with?
I would recommend a aquaclear filter, if you are looking for cheap, AC30.

Hi crypto. I actually didn't do anything with this tank yet. But the seller said that he cleaned the tank prior to selling it. although I can still see some particles (sand and etc.) inside the tank. He used it as a sump for a reef tank before (don't know what a sump is). So I don't know what is the best way of cleaning it so it will be perfectly safe to be used as a planted tank.

I will go check the Aquaclear 30 and 50. I am actually leaning on the 50 now though. There's no harm in overfiltration. :-D

I will go check the Aquaclear 30 and 50. I am actually leaning on the 50 now though. There's no harm in overfiltration. :-D

I'd really consider the AC 50. I don't like to skimp on filtration.

As far as the lights are concerned, idk what to recommend..there is really no wrong choice I don't think. If you're looking for a little less light, want to spend less$, and don't want to deal with Co2 or Excel dosing, I'd go with a T8 or single T5. The single t5 light that my son has (the one I linked too) has a cheap price, but you get what you pay for if ykwim. It's not made with the same quality as my Current fixtures. If it were *me* and $ was no issue, I'd probably do a dual T5 fixture, raise it up, and see what happens. (You can always pop in an actnic bulb if it's too much light.) There are plenty of good brands out there; I just prefer Current Usa (I have three fixtures from them- a 24", a 30" and a 36").

img_1460893_0_1f0a6f5765c5a51fea7090ee3aca6c32.jpg

Last edited:
I'd really consider the AC 50. I don't like to skimp on filtration.

As far as the lights are concerned, idk what to recommend..there is really no wrong choice I don't think. If you're looking for a little less light, want to spend less$, and don't want to deal with Co2 or Excel dosing, I'd go with a T8 or single T5. The single t5 light that my son has (the one I linked too) has a cheap price, but you get what you pay for if ykwim. It's not made with the same quality as my Current fixtures. If it were *me* and $ was no issue, I'd probably do a dual T5 fixture, raise it up, and see what happens. (You can always pop in an actnic bulb if it's too much light.) There are plenty of good brands out there; I just prefer Current Usa (I have three fixtures from them- a 24", a 30" and a 36").

img_1461198_0_1f0a6f5765c5a51fea7090ee3aca6c32.jpg

Oh wow! That chart is what I need. Thank you so much for this Alisha! I will look into this more and hopefully I can decide afterwards.

I am finally certain with the filter though. I will go with the AC50. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

YW. :) My 20 gal high is 16" tall and I have the light right on top of the tank, so according to the chart I am in the "too high" category. I've been doing just fine with a 10hr light period and Excel dosing though, so take the chart for what it's worth. I found it a while back and saved it because I thought it was a good thing to just check yourself with.

Good choice on filters..Honestly think you'll be much happier with the AC50 over the AC30.

Yep. I got into a discussion with someone about whether a dual T5 fixture would be too much light for a 20 gal a little while back and was doing some googling and came across the thread over there. It's saved in my favorites now just for reference.

YW. :) My 20 gal high is 16" tall and I have the light right on top of the tank, so according to the chart I am in the "too high" category. I've been doing just fine with a 10hr light period and Excel dosing though, so take the chart for what it's worth. I found it a while back and saved it because I thought it was a good thing to just check yourself with.

Good choice on filters..Honestly think you'll be much happier with the AC50 over the AC30.

Good info. I think I might go with the T8 but if yours worked with the Excel without dosing CO2 and it was categorized "too high", maybe I can go with the same lighting as yours too. Hehe...thinking....thinking..:confused:

Good info. I think I might go with the T8 but if yours worked with the Excel without dosing CO2 and it was categorized "too high", maybe I can go with the same lighting as yours too. Hehe...thinking....thinking..:confused:

Like I said...I think with such a short distance from top of the tank to the substrate, you can't really make a wrong choice. The 20 long that has the single bulb T8 fixture on it has 3 types of anubias and a bunch of swords in it as well as some rotala. The anubias are constantly growing new leaves. While it may not be enough light for a wild jungle tank (lol) I will certainly be sufficient enough to grow low light plants.

Last edited:
Hi cypto! thanks for that link! very helpful!

so, since it has been used for the reef tank, do I have to clean this tank good in a certain way so all the trace of saltwater is gone?

My 50 gal was used as a saltwater tank before it came to live with me. :) I just scrubbed it down and made sure I rinsed it out well with hot water. I didn't have any issues to speak of. If you are worried about it, you could mix some Vinegar and water to help clean the inside of the tank- just make sure you rinse really well afterwards.

Hi cypto! thanks for that link! very helpful!

so, since it has been used for the reef tank, do I have to clean this tank good in a certain way so all the trace of saltwater is gone?
Your Welcome! I would just make sure to scrub down the tank as good as you can. If you want, you could bleach it (But make sure to wash it real good after!)

Back
Top Bottom