My 5.5g Betta Mansion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kellyinvancouver

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

Just thought I'd share the setup from my Betta tank... Lou Reed was living in a dorm-room fishbowl for about 8 months (I googled 'Betta Bowl' to get my care info-- oops!) until I discovered, upon getting further into the hobby, that my Louie needed a larger, heated tank to be happy.

Since he is a more aggressive guy (his cherry shrimp friend would have told you so if he were here today) he has the tank to himself, allowing me to devote all the paramaters, etc. to his liking!

The result...

img_1013112_0_c4806bf804bc3335f8f6e7cb1b81127b.jpg

And a spam of my number-one fish, Lou Reed

img_1013112_1_edd5039b9d753fd909c28f969cbd97e9.jpg

Here are the specs: I hope this information will be useful to others currently keeping their bettas in bowls...

Tank:
Tetra Water Wonders 5.5g Starter
16”W x 8”D x 10”H

Hardware:
15W Screw in CFL, 10 hour photoperiod
Cheap Hagen Sponge Filter
25W Hagen Heater

Ferts:
Gravel Substrate
0.5mL of Flourish comprehensive 2x a week
0.5mL of Excel daily.

Flora
-Salvinia Natans
-Water lettuce
-Anubias nana
-Cryptocoryne wenditii
-Java moss
-Wisteria
-Rotalas ?
-Grass thing ?
-Cambomba
-Sunset Hygro

NOTES: I screwed a 15W CFL where the incandescent used to be and put in some floating plants to shade my Betta. I grow low-light plants and stir up the floaters every day so that each plant gets equal light. Light is on for 10 hours a day.

After the picture, I added a terracotta pot (drainage hole plugged) for shelter although Louseems to prefer the Anubias plant for shelter.

Thanks for looking and I hope you found this info useful!

I am actually not sure what he is... When I saw him in the LFS, him and his brothers were all in breeder boxes in the display tanks... there were so few of them and they all looked identical, so I am assuming he was a breeder cull. My best guess is that he is a veiltail-based doubletail.

Is he half Double Tail?
He's pretty cool either way :)

Very nice planted betta tank.

if/when you trim the tank, shoot me a PM I got a 15g now that I want to plant and have a planted 52g already.

Hmm... where are you located? Customs are a nightmare about letting plants into the country so I think it would be easier for you to buy the wisteria at a LFS if you're american. Great plant, though! Grows like a weed (LITERALLY.)

Very nice planted betta tank.

if/when you trim the tank, shoot me a PM I got a 15g now that I want to plant and have a planted 52g already.

UPDATE

Added 3 zebra nerite snails (Maureen Tucker, Brian Cale and Sterling Morrison) to keep Lou Reed company and scrape algae. Also, I modified the hardscape... I will post a pic later.

Back
Top Bottom