My 5.5G Shrimp & Moss Nano Tank - Aiming to convert into iwagumi layout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John,

Love both your tanks. You've quite the touch.

Can't quite recall, but do you have both RCS and Amano shrimp? If so, do the Amano's do a better job on hair algae?

John,

Love both your tanks. You've quite the touch.

Can't quite recall, but do you have both RCS and Amano shrimp? If so, do the Amano's do a better job on hair algae?

hi,

cherries in this tank, amanos and red nose in the big tank. they all eat algae but amanos are the king. they are much bigger too.

best regards,

john

John,

Just curious if you have any struggles w/ hair or string algae? I saw your tank and its similar to what I have going w/ the riccia and helferi. Seems like I can watch the string algae grow.

nice tank . I love ricca, it is a pain to maintain thow . :) with any hair algea just take some excel in a dropper and squirt it right on the algea. you can also do the with perioxide. yes. I said that right . it works I swear !!

this tank is looking great !! I love the style and the shrimp are alwasy awesome !!! do you have a BN in there, or just ottos ??

Hi,

Long time no update. Nothing much has happened. Things grew, i trim, cherrys are born and die. Tank ages.

img_1001211_0_05bcd275407fea9ab406cae86b53ec4a.jpg

Looks awesome. I am sure after all this time you have realized how much of a pain keeping Riccia is with all the work of constant pruning and re attaching. Have you thought about going to a rooted plant such as Hemianthus callitrichoides, or Marselia minuta? HC is the shortest known aquatic plant, on average an inch tall and creates quite an interesting foreground carpet, and Marselia water clover is also pretty short. No real pruning involved except the occasional thinning out.

Looks awesome. I am sure after all this time you have realized how much of a pain keeping Riccia is with all the work of constant pruning and re attaching. Have you thought about going to a rooted plant such as Hemianthus callitrichoides, or Marselia minuta? HC is the shortest known aquatic plant, on average an inch tall and creates quite an interesting foreground carpet, and Marselia water clover is also pretty short. No real pruning involved except the occasional thinning out.

Yup Riccia is a real PITA. I've got HC in my 10L and was really enjoying it until it melted when the dosing failed to keep up with the growth. I'm contemplating boosting my Tropica TPN+ mix with a touch more NO3 as I hear HC is nitrogen hungry.

I had a marselia species in my main tank a couple of years ago but didnt like the carpet it formed.

This tank is actually quite sane for Ricca as i'm not using CO2 just Easy Carbo. When the CO2 was on the tank it was just insane growth and with all the pearling the carpet would lift so quickly in the cycle.

The thing that annoys me most about the Ricca is the runners. They get everywhere and just make it look untidy.

Best Regards,
John

Back
Top Bottom