Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2015, 02:10 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I know this may sound dumb but everything I've seen is how to get your nitrates down and I almost have none. I don't understand it.
Correct me if I'm wrong please; but If I am overstocked that should create ammonia which the good bacteria turns to nitrites then nitrates and the plants would help to keep them in balance by feeding on them as well as my PWC helping with them.
Am I doing something wrong with the test kit possibly? I don't have a test kit for phosphates or hardness yet but I will get them being as I see more and more questions concerning them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 03-14-2015, 02:31 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mebbid, I can tell by looking at others photos of their planted tanks that I have low light compared to theirs.
Obviously this comes from the tank being 36" deep I'm sure.
Question: if I put another Current pro+ on the tank and ran them with an overlap for a couple hours do you think I would be running enough light for a "moderate lighting" environment?
All of the items I put together for this tank will be transferable to the new larger tank when I finally get one but I know it will be shallower for sure now. The 36" is not very user friendly for sure and lighting for the plants is much more difficult.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know about the lighting but for nitrates you can just dose it with KNO3. Really the amount of nitrates you want depends on how heavily planted you are though. I assume you're using the API freshwater master test kit? Are you absolutely positive that you're shaking up and slamming the second bottle hard and long enough to dislodge the solid crystals in it and dissolve them before running the test?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 03-14-2015, 06:13 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I will try again tonight after work and make certain to profusely abuse the bottle...lol
I have always shaken it but maybe not enough.
Thanks Nigel

Old 03-16-2015, 03:07 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok. I tried the Nitrate test with some serious shaking of the bottles today and was still near 0. It wasn't a 0 but close. Appeared to be 2-3ppm probably. But definitely less than 5 ppm. Is this a common issue and could this be due to over filtration?
Gonna have to do something soon with a few fish that I will name Hoe, Rake, and Shovel. This trio is tearing up my plants.
The wife doesn't understand wanting 2 tanks so I can have a planted tank, and a rock tank for her fish (The trio of Electric Blue Acara's).
Her statement was "a fish tank is for fish"......God I Love this woman! Lol

Old 03-16-2015, 01:54 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I did a little moving around today and removed one huge piece of DW from the tank to allow for more light and man did it open things up a lot.
I took the Java fern and the Anubias Nana and put both of them on the large piece of DW I left in the tank.
Looks a lot different but I'm sure I'm not done. Ran out of time. I'll put up some pics shortly.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:25 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Love the piece of driftwood on the right so awesome

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-16-2015, 02:34 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Me too but that's the one I took out.
I will more than likely use it in my new tank when I set one up.
Here's the one I left in for now.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426527097.513885.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	267508

Here's the before

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426527140.963993.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	267509

And here's the after

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426527200.963665.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	267510

If any of you pros have ideas or suggestions I'm a sponge at this stuff.
And Thanks for looking all.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:15 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok. Had to pull the DW and scrub it down to get the green algae off that is starting to develop in the tank.
But also gave me a chance to actually tie the Java Fern and Anubias Nana to the DW.
I tried placing it in tight spots but the fish wasn't having that. All tied up now and working on the green algae.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:57 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ordered the PPS Pro Kit dry fert package from GLA.
Saw ACoolGuy was gonna start it so I said what the heck and I'll try it along with him.
I see a great opportunity for me to learn how to accomplish one of those beautiful planted tanks and we can compare progress and learn together.
Waiting for it to come in anxiously. I still have to pick up a scale.
Found Walmart carries one pretty cheap that has some great reviews.
Look out Wally World.....here I come.

Gone Fishing

Tags
plant, planted

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com