My 90 gal planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am so ashamed of the mistake I have made that I find it hard to even share with the people I have never even met.
But being the man I am I have no issues with being human and admitting my mistakes. After all we all learn from others as well as our own mistakes.
The 90 gallon tank I purchased from a yard sale isn't really 90 gallons.
I never questioned it being as I trusted the guy so I have been my own nemesis throughout my whole journey in setting up and running a nicely planted aquarium.
In finding out today when I actual measured the tank for myself as I questioned it with the canopy off I made some major adjustments.
Took almost everything out and did one super duper cleaning with a 25 gallon water change ( oh the tank is actually 60 I found out ).
Cleaned and trimmed all plants from algae that was on them. Cleaned all rocks and DW as well. Filter system down to removing all hoses and cleaning intake and return from canister too.
Rescaped the tank. Went to the local store (45 min away) and picked up a Kh test kit (57 ppm), phosphate kit (0-.25 ppm), and a new API Master Kit and now I have more accurate readings.
Ammonia 0-.25
PH 7.4
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10-20 ppm
I would always get 0 on the Nitrate with my old test kit. Can't find the exp. date on it or maybe the crystals are locked up?
Reduced some stock as well.
Everyone looks so happy now and I know I created my algae issue by overdosing ferts for my plants thinking I had a 90 gal instead of being a 60.
Learning experience (bows head in shame) for sure but feel so much better knowing everyone is happier now and plants are looking good too.
Sorry for the long post but had to get it off my chest. ?

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Mebbid, I can tell by looking at others photos of their planted tanks that I have low light compared to theirs.
Obviously this comes from the tank being 36" deep I'm sure.
Question: if I put another Current pro+ on the tank and ran them with an overlap for a couple hours do you think I would be running enough light for a "moderate lighting" environment?
All of the items I put together for this tank will be transferable to the new larger tank when I finally get one but I know it will be shallower for sure now. The 36" is not very user friendly for sure and lighting for the plants is much more difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
I would go with a finnex ray 2 fixture over a satellite on a deep tank. The finnex has a bit more oomph behind it and will give you better penetration.

Also, comparing light levels by photos is a useless endeavor usually. Many cameras balance the light level so its near impossible to tell regularly with a picture.

I am so ashamed of the mistake I have made that I find it hard to even share with the people I have never even met.
But being the man I am I have no issues with being human and admitting my mistakes. After all we all learn from others as well as our own mistakes.
The 90 gallon tank I purchased from a yard sale isn't really 90 gallons.
I never questioned it being as I trusted the guy so I have been my own nemesis throughout my whole journey in setting up and running a nicely planted aquarium.
In finding out today when I actual measured the tank for myself as I questioned it with the canopy off I made some major adjustments.
Took almost everything out and did one super duper cleaning with a 25 gallon water change ( oh the tank is actually 60 I found out ).
Cleaned and trimmed all plants from algae that was on them. Cleaned all rocks and DW as well. Filter system down to removing all hoses and cleaning intake and return from canister too.
Rescaped the tank. Went to the local store (45 min away) and picked up a Kh test kit (57 ppm), phosphate kit (0-.25 ppm), and a new API Master Kit and now I have more accurate readings.
Ammonia 0-.25
PH 7.4
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10-20 ppm
I would always get 0 on the Nitrate with my old test kit. Can't find the exp. date on it or maybe the crystals are locked up?
Reduced some stock as well.
Everyone looks so happy now and I know I created my algae issue by overdosing ferts for my plants thinking I had a 90 gal instead of being a 60.
Learning experience (bows head in shame) for sure but feel so much better knowing everyone is happier now and plants are looking good too.
Sorry for the long post but had to get it off my chest. ?

Gone Fishing,
Dale
Overdosed ferts didnt cause algae. Especially since you were doing pps pro. So theres absolutely no worries there.

I haven't started the PPS Pro as of yet. I was using the Flourish and Excel.
Wouldn't the unused nitrates in the tank feed the algae.
Understanding it actually didn't create it but I guess I should have been more clear thinking that I was feeding the heck out of it.
Is this true?
Everything is looking pretty well now but I moved my staurogyne repens and that stuff is one serious pain to get back in the Eco complete and hold.
I only have a small patch but took forever and can still see roots.
Any suggestions on keeping it down....toothpicks?

Gone Fishing,
Dale

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427220133.818374.jpg
Got these in today and will be starting this weekend with my PWC.
Can't wait to see the results.
I will have to do before and after pics every couple weeks to monitor progress. Pretty geeked right now.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

View attachment 268270
Got these in today and will be starting this weekend with my PWC.
Can't wait to see the results.
I will have to do before and after pics every couple weeks to monitor progress. Pretty geeked right now.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

The plants should look more vibrant. Just dose as directed and tweak as needed.

Picked up scale and some other odd n ends today so I should be able to start this weekend if all goes well.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Question for the real pros.
I purchased this plant as a "sword" plant from a Meijer's Store.
Was growing beautifully planted in the tank with root tabs and dosing with Flourish and Excel.
I am told that it is really a Java Fern and would do much better ties to a piece of DW so I moved it.
Now the leaves look thin and yellowing on the edges. It has lost the color it had as well.
I need a positive ID so I treat it properly cause I know it needs planted in the substrate or it is lacking something it was getting in the substrate.
All help in ID'ing is appreciated.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427522844.435447.jpg

Gone Fishing,
Dale

I am so ashamed of the mistake I have made...
The 90 gallon tank I purchased from a yard sale isn't really 90 gallons....the tank is actually 60 I found out )

Don't feel bad at all! Eyeballing tank sizes correctly isn't in very many people's skill set. I was told my tank is a 55 but I think it's more like a 50.

~ Sent with an unladen European swallow

Question for the real pros.
I purchased this plant as a "sword" plant from a Meijer's Store.
Was growing beautifully planted in the tank with root tabs and dosing with Flourish and Excel.
I am told that it is really a Java Fern and would do much better ties to a piece of DW so I moved it.
Now the leaves look thin and yellowing on the edges. It has lost the color it had as well.
I need a positive ID so I treat it properly cause I know it needs planted in the substrate or it is lacking something it was getting in the substrate.
All help in ID'ing is appreciated.
View attachment 268560

Gone Fishing,
Dale

That is definitely a sword. It has the leaf texture of one.

Edit: Also, swords appreciate root tabs; they are heavy root feeders.

Thanks guys. I thought something was up when I was supposed to making it better and it went worse.
Back in the gravel today.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Here are some of the plants prior to PPS Pro so we have a starting point comparison. Anubias Nana
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427732653.578233.jpg

Sword that was just put back in the substrate.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427732744.410052.jpg

Ludwigia Repens and Sag Repens
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427732808.360076.jpg

Not sue what this one is. Got it from Meijer's and they didn't know either.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427732912.858727.jpg

Another Meijer plant I'm not sure about in the background behind the Anubias.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427732984.341371.jpg

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Water sprite is doing OK
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427733147.938801.jpg

And the last one is some sort of folia I picked up at Meijer's ...again
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427733210.755146.jpg

Any help in ID'ing some of the plants from Meijer's would be appreciated.
After a couple weeks with the PPS Pro going I'll update some picks.
Currently trying to clean up some of the algae on the lower repens leaves and on the folia.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

My water has a very strong swampy smell to it and I am struggling to keep crystal clear water too.
Doing a PWC tonight to clean things up and reducing more stock tomorrow.
I know I am still overstocked but I will achieve the balance I need soon.
Water parameters remain good though.
We'll see what changes occur when I make these corrections this weekend.
Fingers crossed.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Finally found this thread. looking great Dale! I think your first mystery species is a species of Hygrophilia. No promises on that though. Last mystery plant looks like really healthy hornwort.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks Caleb. I thinned it down hugely tonight to clear out some of the dark algae I had on it.
I treated with hydrogen peroxide once but couldn't bare to look at it anymore...lol

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Did some serious stock adjusting this weekend.
Removed:
3 yellow labs (I loved their color)
4 striped tiger barbs
3 green tiger barbs
1 blue tiger Barb
1 clown loach
2 blue platys

Replaced with this one beauty

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428295633.732926.jpg

Gone Fishing,
Dale

I swear this water sprite has grown 2-3" in the last 2-3 daysImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428296442.892797.jpg

Almost at the top of the 2' tank so I think it's time for a serious trim down.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Did some serious stock adjusting this weekend.
Removed:
3 yellow labs (I loved their color)
4 striped tiger barbs
3 green tiger barbs
1 blue tiger Barb
1 clown loach
2 blue platys

Replaced with this one beauty

View attachment 269355

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Nice job thinning out the herd.

Also, wow. I don't even like angels but that's probably my favorite one I've ever seen. Good call on it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom