My 90 gal planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Nigel. I'm not an angel fan myself but wife loved it so I learned to love it as well....lol
I did read that they prefer a lower ph (6.5 - 7) than I normally carry (7.0 - 7.6). But I also read once "The best water for a fish is the water he's in".

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Thanks Nigel. I'm not an angel fan myself but wife loved it so I learned to love it as well....lol
I did read that they prefer a lower ph (6.5 - 7) than I normally carry (7.0 - 7.6). But I also read once "The best water for a fish is the water he's in".

Gone Fishing,
Dale

It's a true statement. unless you are keeping discus then it's best to just leave the pH the way it is. They will adjust.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Time for an update:
Things seem to be going well with the plants and everything seems to be growing well for a low tech tank I guess.
I thought I clipped out all of the black algae I had on a plant but I guess I didn't cause now it's on the one beside it.
I have been working on a couple of my plants with 3% Hydrogen Peroxide.
I have seen a big difference in it in the last 24 hrs. after treating for 2 days straight.
Power is out right now at the house due to heavy winds so I'm running the generator and sitting looking at the tank.....ah the good life.
Here's a shot after 2 treatments on the algae and considering I had the complete outside edges of some of the leaves and up to 30% of some leaves covered it is working well. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428685945.650563.jpg
There is still more work but I think I'm in the right direction.
Feel free to advise....

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Well I finally got my new tank with "NO" scratches on it.
Set it up yesterday and made the transition from one tank to the other.
What a job that was going from the used 60 gal to the new 90 gal.
We did have a loss during the change though. We lost both of our Denison Barbs. Had to be stressed is all I can figure. That was really painful as we both loved those fish. We will replace later.
Everything else went smooth as planned. With no real planned foresight in how I would be setting up my plants it took a while.
I know I will need to make some more changes in location to a few.
Filter acting up and getting loud too.
Wife tried to talk me into a new canister but I will order a rebuild kit for the Fluval 405 and fix it back up.
This thing sounds rough but I believe I can get ER smoothed back out.
Tank pics tomorrow after I wake up and move a couple plants....lol

Thanks for following

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Well I finally got my new tank with "NO" scratches on it.
Set it up yesterday and made the transition from one tank to the other.
What a job that was going from the used 60 gal to the new 90 gal.
We did have a loss during the change though. We lost both of our Denison Barbs. Had to be stressed is all I can figure. That was really painful as we both loved those fish. We will replace later.
Everything else went smooth as planned. With no real planned foresight in how I would be setting up my plants it took a while.
I know I will need to make some more changes in location to a few.
Filter acting up and getting loud too.
Wife tried to talk me into a new canister but I will order a rebuild kit for the Fluval 405 and fix it back up.
This thing sounds rough but I believe I can get ER smoothed back out.
Tank pics tomorrow after I wake up and move a couple plants....lol

Thanks for following

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Nice! Can't wait to see the new setup!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I moved a couple plants today and trimmed up my new corkscrew Val that had some burn on the tips.
This is what I have this far. Really makes a difference without all those scratches.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429547541.277013.jpg

Here's a closer shot of the ledge I built.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429547625.161364.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429547650.699038.jpg

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Thanks!I have never had them before but I thought the corkscrew would add something to the tank. I hope I don't use my brown thumb on it.
I'm thinking I'm gonna need a second light now with the 18" vs. the 12" depth.
I'm gonna have to do some O/T and some sweet talkin to Mama...lol
I'm from the South but that's what I call my wife....lol
Not sure if I want to keep the water sprite or go with something else there. What ya'll think.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Thanks!I have never had them before but I thought the corkscrew would add something to the tank. I hope I don't use my brown thumb on it.
I'm thinking I'm gonna need a second light now with the 18" vs. the 12" depth.
I'm gonna have to do some O/T and some sweet talkin to Mama...lol
I'm from the South but that's what I call my wife....lol
Not sure if I want to keep the water sprite or go with something else there. What ya'll think.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Lol I understand fine my mother talks like a true southerner!

I personally I'm not liking my water sprite that much. The ends brown on mine they just pop new ones. Not as pretty as I imagined.

I'm thinking of replanting some of the Val's in that corner as well.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Oh yea, I forgot for a minute, your in West TN right....
I'm from just below Nashville originally in a town called Murfreesboro.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Oh yea, I forgot for a minute, your in West TN right....
I'm from just below Nashville originally in a town called Murfreesboro.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

I've passed through Murfeesboro! I'm actually in East TN.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks hensleyjk!
I've only been in MIchigan 11 years and I'm 48. The rest was Murfreesboro.
My water sprite will get crazy big crazy fast and look freaking beautiful.
It almost eat up half the 60 gal I had...lol
I'm gonna need more light now though. I might try that new Finnix Planted 24/7 as the other half of the tank when I can convince Mama...lol

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Before you replace the Dennison barbs make sure that you get captive bred ones as Dennison barbs are endangered in the wild, in no small part due to their popularity in the hobby....

Gorgeous tank by the way!

Wow, I wasn't aware of that Sinibotia.
Thanks. We were so disappointed to lose them. I know where there are more but durn we were watching those 2 grow and couldn't wait for them to get to the Full size.
Thanks on the tank as well. Still got some playing around till I'm satisfied and then see what comes of it.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Wow, I wasn't aware of that Sinibotia.
Thanks. We were so disappointed to lose them. I know where there are more but durn we were watching those 2 grow and couldn't wait for them to get to the Full size.
Thanks on the tank as well. Still got some playing around till I'm satisfied and then see what comes of it.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Just go by the price, wild-caughts tend to be quite pricey (when I had mine 8 years ago, $50 each) while the aquacultured ones are much cheaper. They are such a beautiful fish.

The ones I've seen vary.
One place wants $17 for a 1 1/2" fish with absolutely NO color. Another place for $30 you can get a Large size nearly 4"-5".
I'm scared those 1 1/2" would get eat by my Electric Blue Acara's.
But they have done well with the Oto's I added and pay them no mind at all.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

The ones I've seen vary.
One place wants $17 for a 1 1/2" fish with absolutely NO color. Another place for $30 you can get a Large size nearly 4"-5".

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Otos are like that one fish that is immune to every threat except in predator tanks. Bettas ignore them, some cichlids ignore them, it's crazy. They must be ninjas.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

The ones I've seen vary.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Otos are typically ignored by many fish since they don't have the bright colors and aren't out in the open as much as Denison barbs would be. Acaras are generally peaceful though and I doubt they'd bother the barbs. Make sure to get more than two this time, they're schooling and prefer groups of five or more. But I agree, I have six in my tank and I love them. They don't bother anyone, they're always fun to watch, and they look outstanding.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I agree they are a stunning fish to watch.
I will need to clean a little more house to get 5 though.
I can clean out some catfish and a Damba with no problem.
The cats don't come out till dark and the Damba is gonna end up too aggressive later.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Back
Top Bottom