My 90 gal planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
New dilemma is filtration now. According to AqAdvisor my Fluval 405 canister filter is only at 63% for my tank. I need to add more filtration it appears.
Should I go with a new larger canister filter or just add like a HOB filter to what I have.
I have read a lot of good about the AquaClear 110 on this site and thinking I may look into something along those lines vs. paying for a bigger canister.
Any recommendations?

Gone Fishing,
Dale

AqAdvisor filtration capacity isn't always accurate. If your tank is clean and healthy I wouldn't worry about it. The AC110 is a great filter though, have one on my 75g

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Well it did state that it calculates to 65% of the manufacturers recommendations due to thinking they over rate them.
With that being said and the calculator puts me at about 63%;
Then in reality I would be at 100% per the manufacturer.
It is rated for 100 gal and I have a 90 gal. But then a little extra sure wouldn't hurt.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

AqAdvisor filtration capacity isn't always accurate. If your tank is clean and healthy I wouldn't worry about it. The AC110 is a great filter though, have one on my 75g

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I would expand on that and say that AQadvisor's filtration capacity is a completely useless measurement tbh.

As long as you don't have detectable levels of ammonia then you have enough filtration as that's really a filter's primary function.

Thanks Mebbid. I really haven't had an issue with ammonia as of yet.
My spare parts I ordered to rebuild my Fluval 405 came in yesterday after I went to work. I tackled it this morning and thanks to a cool video I watched on YouTube I was able to tear that joker all the way down and build it back from the floor up. I even found out I was missing pieces too.
That baby purrs like a kitten now.
Makes Ya feel good when Ya actually get something to work better than when Ya got it.
Nap time now....lol

Gone Fishing,
Dale

I can't help but notice, but the wood on the right would make an awesome moss tree if you added some weeping moss to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have thought the same as well Gillie!
Maybe a Rescape in the future would result in the addition of the moss tree.
I was just concerned with it being sooo big that I wouldn't be able to have anything around it.
What do you think? If I added another light would enough get around it to be able to have plants under it?

Gone Fishing,
Dale

You could definitely add another light, but you could also just plant lower light plants around it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like the idea a lot and it may happen down the road. Man, that would be one huge tree top....lol
That DW measures roughly 12x15 on the top of it. That thing would look like an ancient oak tree in there. And when I trim it back there would be tons of it I bet.
What kind of moss Ya think?
Would the star look good on it or would they even work?
Probably the Christmas Moss.
Ideas?

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Getting kinda bored with some of the plants in the tank and want more color in there and blending transitions as well.
I think I'm gonna remove or greatly reduce the water sprite in the left corner.
The stuff that looks like a pennywort in front of it as well.
I ordered some Ludwegia Repens "Rubin" today and will be putting it in by the end of next week. They should really liven up that side of the tank.
Any other ideas of a good color mix or transition that you see with my tank. I'm open to ideas.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Getting kinda bored with some of the plants in the tank and want more color in there and blending transitions as well.
I think I'm gonna remove or greatly reduce the water sprite in the left corner.
The stuff that looks like a pennywort in front of it as well.
I ordered some Ludwegia Repens "Rubin" today and will be putting it in by the end of next week. They should really liven up that side of the tank.
Any other ideas of a good color mix or transition that you see with my tank. I'm open to ideas.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Do you have a recent full tank shot?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have a couple if Ya can make anything of them till I get some new ones.
This is the right side ledge I built in.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431733689.477112.jpg

This is a whole tank shot.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431733800.708237.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431733825.244884.jpg

Gone Fishing,
Dale

I'd throw a red tiger lotus or an ozelot sword in there. It doesn't look like you have any broad leaf plants really, they all look kind of thin and wispy. I think if you kept the tiger lotus trimmed and low to the ground close to the driftwood it'd look really cool on the left side and the marbled look would be a cool contrast.

Maybe some alt. Reineckii for a more broad contrast, the mini or regular.

Limno. Aromatica would look kind of nice but it's one of my favorite plants so I'm a little biased towards it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That tiger lotus would look pretty nice in there If I can get the colors out of it.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Wife and I went to a restaurant called Blackstone tonight where Ya cook your own meat on a heated stone at your table.
While 1 hour away from home I found a store to do a little shopping in and brought this bad boy home.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431821263.890698.jpg

The Electric Blue Acara's already love it....durn fish❗

What Ya think?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431821334.776410.jpg

Thanks for the advice Nigel‼️

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Wife and I went to a restaurant called Blackstone tonight where Ya cook your own meat on a heated stone at your table.
While 1 hour away from home I found a store to do a little shopping in and brought this bad boy home.
View attachment 272371

The Electric Blue Acara's already love it....durn fish❗

What Ya think?
View attachment 272372

Thanks for the advice Nigel‼️

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Looking great Dale :) that tiger lotus can get HUGE!

Caleb

Thanks Caleb. I'm gonna do some cleaning up and adding some new plants to work with till I get a look I really like.
Once I get the repen Rubin in there I'll have some red for sure. Then to try and keep it in this 24" deep tank.
I understand the lotus will absorb a huge amount of nutrients from the column so I will watch that closely as well.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Forgot to mention that the Bacopa Monnieri did not do well at all in my tank.
First I was losing the lower leaves and had a very leggy and unappealing appearance; but looked healthy still none the less.
A few days later I had every top eaten off of them.
Now it all came together. Them durn Acara's again....
They eat those plants like I bought them just for food....lol
Gonna take them out for sure.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Well my ludwegia repens Rubin came in. My boy didn't grab the mail so they sit in the mailbox overnight. Got down in the 50's but they still look good. Packaging was awesome!
Here's what they look like now after stabilizing in the tank since morning.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432099196.222584.jpg

Now how to make some changes?

Here's the tank after I did some thinning out and relocating some.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432099295.499395.jpg

Thinking I want to remove the stuff behind the sword. I get as much of that in the filter as I have on the stems.....lol
Maybe put the hornwort in its spot.
The hornwort looks kinda thin but I'm spreading it as far and as fast as I can.
But where for the repen Rubin?
If my star repen don't bounce back I can put them in its spot. Somebody's been working em over it appears.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well my ludwegia repens Rubin came in. My boy didn't grab the mail so they sit in the mailbox overnight. Got down in the 50's but they still look good. Packaging was awesome!
Here's what they look like now after stabilizing in the tank since morning.
View attachment 272546

Now how to make some changes?

Here's the tank after I did some thinning out and relocating some.

View attachment 272547

Thinking I want to remove the stuff behind the sword. I get as much of that in the filter as I have on the stems.....lol
Maybe put the hornwort in its spot.
The hornwort looks kinda thin but I'm spreading it as far and as fast as I can.
But where for the repen Rubin?
If my star repen don't bounce back I can put them in its spot. Somebody's been working em over it appears.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think the Ludwigia would look nice by the driftwood. Where did you get that from? It looks really healthy.

Back
Top Bottom