My 90 gal planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleV87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok this is very addicting but such a pleasure so I thought I would start a thread of this journey.
First off, I have already traveled a long road but I'll try to catch everyone up with me.
I started out with all artificial plants but wanted planted.
I then picked up a couple live plants requiring low lighting.
With my tank being 48 x 12 x 36 I felt I was getting enough light with the cheap fluorescent lights so I pitched a Satellite + Pro.
The next move was to change the substrate to better help the plants.
I picked up the Eco Complete and changed it out.
I recently added a few plants I picked up from the local Meijer store that looked nice but they couldn't tell me what they all were...lol. Guess I'll try to look them up.
Here is a shot of the current setup.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426142083.572982.jpg

Here are some shots of the plants I have and feel free to give advice. I am not running CO2. I do use Flourish and Excel liquid ferts.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426142256.147412.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426142279.861545.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426142299.496537.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426142317.807247.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My Anubis is looking pale to me and I'm not sure if this is lighting ( 6-8 hrs / day) or fert issue. I do use root tabs for it anyone have any ideas?
I think the DW may be blocking too much of the light maybe. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426142667.773124.jpg

Those 2 blue hoodlums are the ones trying to uproot it every other day...lol
But they are our favs anyway ?

I think it is not getting enough light yes. It's a low light plant but in full shade that's no light lol.

I really like the look of Anubias hastifolia, I have one too, the triangular leaves are cool.

The reason I think that's the only issue at all is all of your other plants look to be doing quite well.

I love my fish!!!

Those 2 blue hoodlums are the ones trying to uproot it every other day...lol
But they are our favs anyway ?

Maybe try tying it to a small rock? After like two weeks It will attach its roots and stay there on its own, that way even if they mess with it, it's attached to a rock.

I love my fish!!!

Those cichlids as they get bigger will start demolishing plants. Their natural diet is mostly vegetation. I had a tank full of them once and tried adding some of my plants that I had too much of. Within a day a fist sized portion of water sprite was nothing but a stem. They are also far far too aggressive to be community fish and need to be stocked in a specific manner to avoid killing each other.

What other fish do you have in the tank?

It appears that you have a java fern in there. That is one plant that needs to be tied to a decoration rather than planted.

Lastly, the light fixture you have is definitely not going to be enough light for some of your plants. Particularly the rotala.

I currently am overstocked I already know as I still have my original starter fish in the tank that I believe I found a home for last night. But I do good water changes to keep it all in balance till my friend gets moved and I will give a good portion of fish to his daughters.
I have:
5 guppies (leaving)
1 Black neon tetra (leaving)
5 Tiger Barbs
2 Green Tiger Barbs
1 Blue Tiger Barb
2 Denison Barbs
3 Synodontis Catfish
2 Pic Catfish
3 Electric Blue Acara
3 Yellow Lab
3 Pristine Tetra
1 Damba

I do give the fish cucumber to cure the itch of eating up the plants and this has helped a bit.
I have seen no aggressive behavior from one species to the other with the exception of the Tiger Barb. One was very nippy till I found out the shoal was too small and added more. That cured the issue almost immediately. If it does start back up I will definitely remove the problem.
I do plan to get another larger tank in the future to replace this one. This tank was scratched up pretty bad when I purchased it at a yard sale.
Most of my fish fish were purchased on impulse buying when I first set it up by my wife. I then found this site and am learning more and more through the readings and trying to fix the issues I already see potentially going to happen.
Thanks for any advice as you can see my current issues I'm sure.
My long term goal is to have a beautiful planted tank with colorful species of fish that all are comfortable with each other and I can sit back in my old age ( which is coming soon ) and enjoy watching and relaxing.

Try using aqadvisor for rough stocking #s you ca also do some research on your current fish

I love my fish!!!

I did do so which is how I know I'm overstocked but have no issues with any of my parameters what so ever.
As soon as my buddy starts up his girls tank I will unload some occupants.
I plan on doing some research tonight when I get home from work on Nitrate readings in the planted tank.
I thought I read once that you needed a certain number of Nitrates to achieve a well planted and healthy tank.
I have almost 0 every reading I have ever done on my tank with the API Master Test Kit.
Am I wrong about that or has my memory not gone just yet...lol?

Your target nitrate should be 5-10 ppm. Phosphates should be 1/10th the nitrates to keep algae from growing.

Another thing with your stocking, I'm sure you're aware of the yellow labs and acaras needing different water conditions, one being African and the other South American, but also those Denison barbs you'll need more of. As they become older they will become aggressive with less than five in the group so you may want to look at what impact that would have with your stocking levels.

Looking good though.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I know this may sound dumb but everything I've seen is how to get your nitrates down and I almost have none. I don't understand it.
Correct me if I'm wrong please; but If I am overstocked that should create ammonia which the good bacteria turns to nitrites then nitrates and the plants would help to keep them in balance by feeding on them as well as my PWC helping with them.
Am I doing something wrong with the test kit possibly? I don't have a test kit for phosphates or hardness yet but I will get them being as I see more and more questions concerning them.

Mebbid, I can tell by looking at others photos of their planted tanks that I have low light compared to theirs.
Obviously this comes from the tank being 36" deep I'm sure.
Question: if I put another Current pro+ on the tank and ran them with an overlap for a couple hours do you think I would be running enough light for a "moderate lighting" environment?
All of the items I put together for this tank will be transferable to the new larger tank when I finally get one but I know it will be shallower for sure now. The 36" is not very user friendly for sure and lighting for the plants is much more difficult.

I don't know about the lighting but for nitrates you can just dose it with KNO3. Really the amount of nitrates you want depends on how heavily planted you are though. I assume you're using the API freshwater master test kit? Are you absolutely positive that you're shaking up and slamming the second bottle hard and long enough to dislodge the solid crystals in it and dissolve them before running the test?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I will try again tonight after work and make certain to profusely abuse the bottle...lol
I have always shaken it but maybe not enough.
Thanks Nigel

Ok. I tried the Nitrate test with some serious shaking of the bottles today and was still near 0. It wasn't a 0 but close. Appeared to be 2-3ppm probably. But definitely less than 5 ppm. Is this a common issue and could this be due to over filtration?
Gonna have to do something soon with a few fish that I will name Hoe, Rake, and Shovel. This trio is tearing up my plants.
The wife doesn't understand wanting 2 tanks so I can have a planted tank, and a rock tank for her fish (The trio of Electric Blue Acara's).
Her statement was "a fish tank is for fish"......God I Love this woman! Lol

I did a little moving around today and removed one huge piece of DW from the tank to allow for more light and man did it open things up a lot.
I took the Java fern and the Anubias Nana and put both of them on the large piece of DW I left in the tank.
Looks a lot different but I'm sure I'm not done. Ran out of time. I'll put up some pics shortly.

Love the piece of driftwood on the right so awesome

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Me too but that's the one I took out.
I will more than likely use it in my new tank when I set one up.
Here's the one I left in for now.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426527097.513885.jpg

Here's the before
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426527140.963993.jpg

And here's the after
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426527200.963665.jpg

If any of you pros have ideas or suggestions I'm a sponge at this stuff.
And Thanks for looking all.

Ok. Had to pull the DW and scrub it down to get the green algae off that is starting to develop in the tank.
But also gave me a chance to actually tie the Java Fern and Anubias Nana to the DW.
I tried placing it in tight spots but the fish wasn't having that. All tied up now and working on the green algae.

Ordered the PPS Pro Kit dry fert package from GLA.
Saw ACoolGuy was gonna start it so I said what the heck and I'll try it along with him.
I see a great opportunity for me to learn how to accomplish one of those beautiful planted tanks and we can compare progress and learn together.
Waiting for it to come in anxiously. I still have to pick up a scale.
Found Walmart carries one pretty cheap that has some great reviews.
Look out Wally World.....here I come.

Gone Fishing

Back
Top Bottom