My amazon sword needs your help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New_b0401

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can any one tell me what might be wrong with my amazon sword?

Flourite substrate
Daily dosing of API CO2 booster
Flourish dosed 2x a week
Flourish root tabs used monthly
I know I dont have the best lighting two 2700K bulbs 60W each
Tank contains
a betta
a cory cat
2 zebra snails
Ramshorn and pond snails
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Ph 8.2

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1406071435341.jpg
    1406071435341.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 103
All my other plants are fine... Hmm ok thanks

Sent from my Xoom using Aquarium Advice mobile app

60W CFL or incandescent? 2700K is outside the useful range for plant growth. Wouldn't use below 4000K or above 10000K. Your gravel also isn't that great at holding root nutrients. Even with root tabs. I'm betting most of the nutrients are dissolving into the water stream. You pH is also pretty high. What's the pH of your tap before and after treating?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My pH tap is around 8.2 and really I thought flourite was specifically for plants? The bulbs are CFL sorry way new to this whole planted tank thing haha

I will get some new bulbs hopefully this weekend I found some 6500k CFLs that will work in my hood

If that's fluorite, you should be good for a while and root tabs shouldn't be immediately necessary. Replace those bulbs and you'll be in a much different situation.

If that's fluorite, you should be good for a while and root tabs shouldn't be immediately necessary.

Yep it's fluorite. I just switched from sand to fluorite I like the look better and wanted to not have to use the root tabs. I just switched it today so that's why I said I'd been using root tabs.

Yeah, switch out those bulbs and your sword will blow up.

Also trim off the worst of the leaves so your Sword can concentrate on putting out new growth. Also make sure the crown of the plant ( where the leaves come together ) is uncovered. I'm on my phone, but it looks like your plant might be planted just a tiny bit too deep?

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, switch out those bulbs and your sword will blow up.

Yay! I will do asap lol

Also you can get lost of 6500k cfl bulbs at local hardware store or lowes etc. i use them in a few tanks. Works great

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Ok great thanks :)

Also trim off the worst of the leaves so your Sword can concentrate on putting out new growth. Also make sure the crown of the plant ( where the leaves come together ) is uncovered. I'm on my phone, but it looks like your plant might be planted just a tiny bit too deep?

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep your right thanks ugh I have so much to learn haha

Alright trimed the leave and uncovered it a bit what do you think should I take off the other two in the back I already trimmed off the 5 worst ones...

Attachments

• 1406120966435.jpg
    1406120966435.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 1406120978353.jpg
    1406120978353.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 1406120990358.jpg
    1406120990358.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 75
Also did find out that my timer for my lighy quite working while I was on vacation so this guy was in a basement with no light for almost a week! Hes deffinitly gonna love the new bulbs

Back
Top Bottom