My anarchis will NOT stay planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Ok, i found it floating again today, I stripped of about half of the bottom and planted it DEEP into the gravel, about every 3 days i find some pieces floating, its soooo frustrating, will it eventually grow roots like my Rotala Indica? I had the same problem until it finally rooted itself in.

well, i had thought it might be the clown loaches, but they were TINY, not even 1/2 inch, just babies. well, one of the three was about an inch long. Since they died, two days ago, i haven't had any anarchis come uprooted, so it must've been them. Anyway, when they came up, they didn't have any roots on them. When i planted my rotala indica, i had to uproot it about 2 weeks later to move it out of the way for my driftwood, and it had some nice roots growing, does anarchis grow roots too? will it every really root into the gravel good? Because i really want to get some more clown loaches.

It will send "aerial roots" to the substrate, which will help hold it in place, but its not a traditional rooted plant. Until then, weighing it down in bunches won't hurt it.

agreed, anachris isn't a big root-putter-downer (there, new hyphenated word!)

I'm a big concerned if you lost 3 clown loaches in one day...that's an indication of some potentially serious illness, parasite, or lack of tank being cycled.

I find it very interesting that you can't keep them down. I've had anacharis in my 29 gal since I pulled ~1" shoots from my "growing tank" (supply house for my whiskey barrel pond). My goldfish hasn't pulled a single shoot out yet, and goldies are notorious for uprooting plants. I have about 12 plants (single shoots: some bunched, some not) ranging from 1" to 12".

I've found that if you bunch them, they'll stay in place better if you have a fairly strong current or fish that play with them. However, the single shoots seem to hold their own as well.

As for the roots, as mentioned, they don't traditionally root. You'll get these little tentacles that sprout off from the shoot (seems to be at new growth points). They will dive down to the substract and will take foot there. Not too appealing, but not ugly enough to keep trimmed. In my tank, it takes about 12-14 hours for a foot to go about 6".

For planting, I don't do anything special except put them straight into the gravel, all the way in. I have about 1.5" of gravel. I then mound it up a bit around the base, just to give an extra 1/2" or so. My goldfish eventually moves the mounds, but it takes him a while.

You may try NOT stripping the stems down. The extra leaves may provide a bit more of a foothold. I've never stripped anything down in the year or so I've been growing Anacharis and never had a problem with the leaves rotting or anything.

I'll take some pictures tonight when I get home to give you an idea of a structurally sound group of Anacharis and what to expect. This stuff is a weed I tell ya. It's pretty stable after a good 24 hours, and even more so when the spouts take foot.

Thanks everyone, they haven't come up again and they are in bunches (2 bunches of about 6) Hopefully they will be rooted a bit better by the time i get more loaches.

I'm a big concerned if you lost 3 clown loaches in one day...that's an indication of some potentially serious illness, parasite, or lack of tank being cycled.

Thanks for your concern Malkore, but my tank is in good condition, except for the Ich, and it wasn't really the ich that killed them, it was the salt treatment.

i found another piece floating today, How is it coming up? I have two bunches of six planted and they are planted really deep... erg, so frustrating. I don't really care to buy any anchors or anything, but i want to know WHY they are coming uprooted.

The only thing I can think of is that you have a fish (or more than one) messing with either the substrate or the plant.

Oh, wait, another thought may be that it's in a strong current and it's forcing it to uproot. Any possibility in this?

Anyway, I forgot to take a pic of the aerial roots, but here's a pic of the freshly split stalks. They're only in the substrate about 1 or 1 1/2 inches. There's no weight, no roots, nothing. I didn't strip the stems either. I just took out the existing bunches, broke off the new growth, and re-planted them. My goldfish is always nibbling on them, but not a since one has been uprooted since yesterday morning.

plant.JPG

Back
Top Bottom