My attempt at Aquascaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any other plants that root to rock?
As far as I know (which ain't much), the following are epiphytes and should be able to "root" to rock: Anubias, Microsorum, and Bolbitis.

Ok, thanks! Not sure if I will pursue that or not at the moment.

I have noticed some copepods on the glass, which sounds like a sign of a healthy tank. I am also noticing some pin head size green dots on the glass-mostly where the current from the filter hits the glass ..not sure I like the look of that.

Attachments

• IMG_4717.jpg
    IMG_4717.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 73
Sounds like the start of GSA. Upping your phosphate dosing should take care of it.

Sounds like the start of GSA. Upping your phosphate dosing should take care of it.

Wow! :confused: Now I'm confused. I'd have thought just the opposite. I recall reading that phosphates cause algae blooms. But please note that my thoughts are not based on experience or primary knowledge.

"Phosphates and Algae There is no question that phosphate promotes algae growth." Phosphates in the Aquarium

"Control of phosphates in the aquarium is by far the number one means to prevent algae blooms." Algae - Part two of two

agreed on the confusion, I have read both sides to the story of algae, overabundance of nutrients and lack of nutrients. Not sure which side is right. Unfortunately I cant test phosphates as i dont have a test kit for that.

Aquarium Algae ID (updated 16th Spet '08) This blog makes the case for too little nutrients,co2,o2, and excess waste cause algae breakouts.

Algae is not caused by an excess of any one particular nutrient, but rather an imbalance of nutrients. The goal it to ensure that our plants have all the nutrients that they need so that the aquarium favors plants over algae. Most often when people are experiancing algae problems they tend to note the one nutrient that is particularly high, but fail to notice the nutrient that has bottomed out and is causing the first nutrient to build up because the plants can't use it without the presense of the second nutrient.

Another cause for confusion comes from the way that people have understood the information that led to the development of PMDD (Poor Man's Dosing Drops). The experiments showed that by dosing limited amounts of Phosphates instead of none, they could increase plant growth. They didn't do any experiments to see what would happen if Phosphates were dosed in higher amounts, but people took the information to mean that Phosphates should be kept at low levels.

Generally by determining what algae you are dealing with you can determine what deficiency you are dealing with in the aquarium. In the case of GSA, the cause is Phosphates that are too low. I was surprised when I heard this the first time too. However I tried increasing my Phosphate dosing and the amount of GSA reduced significantly without inducing an outbreak of another algae.

Unfortunately Hair Algae is one of those few algaes that seems to prefer the same conditions that favor our plants. Your best bet is to ensure that your nutrients are in balance and manually remove as much as possible. Some algae eaters that like hair algae would also be helpful. Another Algae that fits this category is Cladophora. These also happen to be the two main algae that I'm struggling with at the moment, at least in part due to the neglect my aquariums have been getting.

Its been a while since updating and things have gone a different direction. Water condition crashed and had to redo things. I learned something from doing the riccia mesh, it really accumulates debris underneath. I'm thinking if one was going to do a riccia carpet if a ug filter would be best.

Anyways, the riccia grows great in my tank, best of anything I have tried, so its hard to get rid of. Heres where its at now.

Attachments

• IMG_4949.jpg
    IMG_4949.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 67
Sorry about the crash. But it's already starting to look real good again.

Not sure I understand, are you re-doing the riccia carpet but limiting it to just 2 small areas, or are your now using an UG filter, or what?

Plants are beautiful and add that special element to the fresh water aquarium that makes it all worth while. But they are a PITA. The have the audacity to attract algae, overgrow the places we decided they should live in, and collect debris. But then, what's a hobby without a little bit of aggravation?

The crash was a learning experience. Inexperience trumped ability.
Instead of doing a whole carpet, which looks cool in my opinion, I'll just attach it to some small rocks or to the wood. I'll attempt some dwarf hairgrass and see how that goes. I was thinking of taking that other piece of wood and putting that on the substrate too, would that clutter things up too much?

It was my opinion regarding using an UG filter as when I pulled up my mats, theres was poop and debris everywhere. Which in my opinion caused the water quality to drop out-green water, other algae, shrimp deaths, it was a mess.

Back
Top Bottom