Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

My beautiful jungle val

Is in the process of completely melting from transplant shock. There's still what looks like a lot in there since I had so many but the leaves are bad of what's left. Should I just cut all of them to its bare root? Would that speed the process up as far as getting the plant going to send runners? They've been in the tank for about 6-7 weeks. I have root tabs in my sand and dose flourish twice a week. Lighting is a single T5 HO. 55 gallon

Old 08-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

My beautiful jungle val

I would cut the leaves that are melting. How much light are they getting? Once mine are established I give them a little hair cut. This has always prompted runners for me. Sorry. Missed the light the first time. Is the bulb above them? They do like some light

Old 08-12-2017, 02:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbkemp View Post
I would cut the leaves that are melting. How much light are they getting? Once mine are established I give them a little hair cut. This has always prompted runners for me. Sorry. Missed the light the first time. Is the bulb above them? They do like some light
The fixture is raised about 3 inches. They're all melting
Old 08-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you know if the root systems are still healthy and intact? If so, the Val will eventually come back. You just need to be patient with it. With just Flourish, a single T5 HO bulb, root tabs, and no carbon supplementation, it is going to take some time for the plants to rebound. Plant growth will be slow.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishenthusiast View Post
Do you know if the root systems are still healthy and intact? If so, the Val will eventually come back. You just need to be patient with it. With just Flourish, a single T5 HO bulb, root tabs, and no carbon supplementation, it is going to take some time for the plants to rebound. Plant growth will be slow.

I'm going to assume the roots are healthy as they were very thick when planted. Obviously I don't want to disturb them. As far as lighting, I thought that was more than enough for Vals
Old 08-12-2017, 03:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish Lover View Post
I'm going to assume the roots are healthy as they were very thick when planted. Obviously I don't want to disturb them. As far as lighting, I thought that was more than enough for Vals

A single T5 HO bulb should be enough for the Val, but you'd have faster growth with carbon supplementation (in the Calvin Cycle, CO2 enters in, and through a series of steps, will produce sugar for plant biomass). You have low tech tank conditions for your Val, so growth, and plant recovery, won't be as fast as in a tank with pressurized CO2, daily ferts, and higher light, for instance.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishenthusiast View Post
A single T5 HO bulb should be enough for the Val, but you'd have faster growth with carbon supplementation (in the Calvin Cycle, CO2 enters in, and through a series of steps, will produce sugar for plant biomass). You have low tech tank conditions for your Val, so growth, and plant recovery, won't be as fast as in a tank with pressurized CO2, daily ferts, and higher light, for instance.

Go easy with the liquid co2 tho, tends to melt vals when first dosed. I'd start at a low dosage and work your way up over a few weeks

Tags
jungle, jungle val, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com