My biggest problem with planted tanks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PsiPro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I cant find my srhimp :( They always hide in the back when and when I look for them I can never find them... I'm trying to keep track of their mortality but the most of have ever found at once was 5 (should be six) I can only find 2 now and since I just vaccumed i'm terrified i sucked one up! (Yes I'm carful and check, but still want to have all of my guys accounted for.

That certainly is a drawback to having the shrimp/pleco/plant combos. I almost never get to see my Cliff in my tank.

There are just too many hiding places in there to even account for everyone at the same time. Just be patient...you will see the others eventually. You could get one of those red/blue flashlights and take a look when lights are off.

They still have ltos of brown alge to clean up, I wont be able to lure them out for a loooong time.

I'm not really worried i'm just obsessive and want to be able to watch them all.

I added some pretty rainbow shrimp to my planted 55g and enjoyed watching them go from light tan to various colors through out the day. The next day no shrimp and no bodies. A week later no shrimp and no bodies. 2 months later I was certain they had all died. :cry:

Then I tore down the tank to move everything to a 90g. I removed the plants, drained the tank and lifted up a cave. Hey a blue rainbowshrimp. Then I lift up the driftwood, 2 red rainbowshrimp. It continued like that until all the decorations were moved and over half the shrimp were accounted for. I then added them to my 90g for lack of anywhere else to put them. A week later... no shrimp to be seen.

I had a 55g and a few Caridina japonica (which are like superheroes against algae and other kind of dirt 8O ).
It took a few weeks, but since then they've always been available to see, climbing on leaves, driftwood, swimming... When I sticked my hand into the aquarium to trim some plants they always came and started trying to get the "algae" (little hair) from my fingers :wink: .

I had a 55g and a few Caridina japonica (which are like superheroes against algae and other kind of dirt 8O ).
It took a few weeks, but since then they've always been available to see, climbing on leaves, driftwood, swimming... When I sticked my hand into the aquarium to trim some plants they always came and started trying to get the "algae" (little hair) from my fingers :wink: .

Douple post :eek:

At any given time I can see the two adults out, but the littler ones dont venture out of the large plants.

greenmaji, your right. I don't have a moonlight set up, but I do turn off my lights in incriments so it slowly gets dimmer and when the lights are dimmed I can usually see 4 of them at any one time.

I never had moon lights but would dimly light the room and watch nocturnal fish at night.. plecos are alot more active at night.. :p

you guys are lucky ... I added 5 ghost shrimp about 3 months ago, and I've seen them maybe 15-20 times since then. Its rare when I see them. Everytime I think they're all gone, I see one. I never see more than one or 2 at a time.

Back
Top Bottom