My Dwarf Hairgrass (Eleocharis acicularis) Iwagumi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misterpenguin4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I Just started a 10 gallon iwagumi aquascape about a week ago. I have searchem black flourite sand, zebra rocks, DIY co2, and i have a finnex fugeray LED lighting system. I got the dwarf hairgrass from another aquarium. It wasnt really growing in the other aquarium (same light). But I just got some searchem flourish liquid fertiziler and im going to start dosing twice a week. Is that good for dwarf hairgrass and shrimp and fish friendly? I had 3 gold fish in the aquarium to speed up cycle time but they started ripping out all the dwarf hairgrass. :banghead: Now they are in a fry basket that I have in the aquarium. Also any recomendations on some nice fish to put in there?

Goldfish are definitely not the way to go, they are trouble around plants and are very dirty, causing the ammonia to rise quickly.

I think you may or may not want to use Excel, I'm not sure what the par rating is for that fixture.

Why not? Par is 43 at 12" which is where the dwarf hairgrass is. I want a high spike in amonia to help the tank cycle/ start the nitrogen cycle.

Where are some pics? lol. Yeah goldies are NOT the way to go for an iwagumi. especially with DHG...its supposed to me docile and peaceful, but goldies will just rip it all apart and etc. etc. I think you possibly could grow the DHG with the fugeray, but on my newest tank (6g rimless iwagumi) I am using the ray 2 and the tank is 11" high I think and that is super high light for it, so you probably could do it...not sure tho. I think that neon or cardinal tetras, harlequin rasboras, and any small schooling fish look nice in iwagumi tanks. I will stock mine with some harlequin rasboras once i get it started and then make it strictly a shrimp tank (so as planned lol)

I only had gold fish to get the cycle started. Planned to take them out in a week.

Also planning on shrimp! Sorry pics are so bad. Just took them with my phone.

Attachments

• image-2088288269.jpg
    image-2088288269.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 144
  • image-517442881.jpg
    image-517442881.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 132
  • image-2942351020.jpg
    image-2942351020.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 139
  • image-3533831294.jpg
    image-3533831294.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 120
I'm not sure if I'm correct on this, but Dan, I think he'll want to use some form of CO2? Even just Excel?

He's got DIY CO2 running.

I agree with the goldfish sentiment. It would be a metaphorical and literal elephant in the room.

Looks really nice! Very cool. So yeah, just keep the goldies in there until the ammonia gets up, and then take them out. DIY CO2 should be fine for this as AC said. A dose of Excel now and then would not hurt tho :) I still dose Excel in my 60g with pressurized co2, some of my plants like fissidens fontanus grow better with the Excel added in the tank.

I personally would do some small schooling tetras like cardinal or harlequin rasboras. IMO they look great in iwagumis. Some RCS or other colorful shirmp...not sure on shrimp too well tho :)

I like harlequin rasboras. But i was maybe thinking just crystal red shrimp.

Well, CRS are a difficult species to keep, and at their price tag, I would not recommend them for the first species in the tank, especially if you are a beginner at keeping shrimp...in my 6g I am going to start with some RCS, ten I plan on Red Rili Shrimp and if I get the hang of it, maybe try a couple CRS...if you have had experience with them by all means, try some :)

Do you know any other shrimp? I had red cherry shrimp in another tank but they are pretty small. Maybe something with a little more size.

Back
Top Bottom