my dying breed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pinchy11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello!
im rather new to this site so ill start off simple
ive had my javamoss for arond 6-7 months and it isnt really growing:-?,i just got cherry shrimps and there pregnant so i need some cover for them,any help growing java moss or any tips on cherryshrimp would be really good:) thanx.

what kind of light do you have? I found that java moss grows well for me if there is a good flow in the aquarium and plenty of light.

A good flow of water does encourage java moss to grow. Also, I have a feeling that you have this mass of java moss all rolled into a ball and you are expecting it to just take off but it doesn't work like that. You will want to spread it out and make it as thin as possible sso that every little strand is exposed to light. You can start with a very tiny strand on driftwood and in two weeks you will have substantial growth.

Welcome to AA!

my light is 240volts and 50hts not sure if that helps.and i was in one place so i spread it out just now,my filter hasnt been working properly for some time now ill give it a VERY VERY god clean today,but my local fish guy told me cherry shrimp can get sucked up if the filter is to strong so i dont no what to do,also i ve had several attempts at java moss besore but it used to get stuck in the filter and then it would die and then the filter would stop working as well(that probably whats stoped my filter). my filter is a magic jet filter,magi 380 so its rather basic.

When you clean your filter, remove large debris or java moss that may have gotten in around the impeller, but don't replace your sponge material. If it's filled with debris, just give it a very gentle rinse in some removed tank water. Don't even squeeze it a lot. The filter media houses the good bacteria that are responsible for breaking down the fish wastes in the tank and you don't want to disrupt the cycle of ammonia and nitrite breaking down into nitrates.

About your lighting - can you determine how many watts it is? You may have to look at the bulb itself, but do so before you turn the lights on for the day so they are nice and cool. Volts and hertz don't mean much to plants. Also, what size tank is it? In my experience, java moss grows very slowly and/or poorly in low light

my tank is 3 foot(i from australia so i dont no the gallons but i think its 70 or so litres)
ill be sure todo as you said with the filter and ill check the watage tomorrow when the light isnt hot. the light is fine for the tank i feel.oh and my java fern isnt doin well ever .i should probably do some water tests, wat ones do you think i should do?i havnt done one for along time

Back
Top Bottom