My ferts came in the mail!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lohoyan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Now what do I do??? I got potassium nitrate and potassium sulfate from aquarium fertilizer.com. Don't tell me I'm going to have to read up a whole pile of new stuff! I didn't sign on to this hobby to become a freaking chemist! (the chemistry side of it is pretty interesting though). But seriously, I'm guessing I'll have to mix some of this dry fert into water to make a solution and then decide on a dosing method. Then start dosing, testing, changing water ect. I hope once my plants start doing well that the red algae goes away. It forms on the glass and the plants. It brushes of easily but together with their various deficiencies it makes the plants look really bad.

Sorry to tell you but I think you might have to do some more reading. I am just starting with dry ferts as well but i got some very good advice from a member on here named fort384. From what i understand you need to figure out how much of each mix to mix in a jug of distilled water. The amount is different for everyone and depends on the size of your tank. I suggest giving fort384 a PM and ask him for some advice, he helped me out a ton.

Yup, more reading.
Research "Estimative Index", "PMDD" and "PPS" methods of fert dosing. Pick what works for you.

Yes, I've been reading about this, I'm just kind of still absorbing this stuff. Lots of good reading at The Barr Report too. I know I've got a ways to go but sooner or later I'm going to have a little jungle paradise in my tank. Thanks folks, I'll be back asking lots more questions along the way.

Back
Top Bottom