My first Attempt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeyJoe19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, long time lurker 3rd or fourth time posting here. I have had a 55 gallon tank for about 5 years now. I'am thinking its time to add some plants. i just received my new hood, its a zoomed t5 double fixture. i got the ultra sun 6500k bulb and the flora sun 5000k bulb. What should be my next steps of adding plants be. i have regular gravel, do i need to add a new substrate or will this be good enough. Thanks

I just set up a 55 my self and I used sand and it's doing great ,

A substrate would help but regular gravel works. I have it in several tanks. Best start with a lot of plants, makes it easier to get things balanced and stay ahead of algae. Look for some anacharis or other fast growing stem plant.

thanks for the response. im thinking about getting some micro swords, cabomba, java fern anubias nana, ludwigia amazon swords, rotala and wisteria. Will these plants do alright?

thanks for the response. im thinking about getting some micro swords, cabomba, java fern anubias nana, ludwigia amazon swords, rotala and wisteria. Will these plants do alright?

It'll depend on your fixtures wattage rating, more wattage and good reflectors means more light in your tank. The ones you have listed do well in lower end lighting except Cabomba which needs a fair amount of light to grow well.

Here's a link to a plant info site that should help with selecting plants and what they need to propagate.

PlantGeek.net - Your Aquatic Plant Resource

Happy planting!

Thanks Mr. Limpet. I guess i will scratch out the cabomba and replace it with something else. Yeah when i first thought about putting plants in, i came across that site. Any other suggestions on what type of plants? will i need co2 or not.

Those should do fine IMO. :)

JoeyJoe19 said:
Thanks Mr. Limpet. I guess i will scratch out the cabomba and replace it with something else. Yeah when i first thought about putting plants in, i came across that site. Any other suggestions on what type of plants? will i need co2 or not.

If you get into high light plants or want a carpet effect then, you'll need to get into co2 IMO/E.

You have a great list going and I'd suggest getting them planted and give them time to fill in. Then you can figure out where you may want add some plants or if some aren't doing as good and may need to be replaced.

For high light plants you'll need more lighting, not just CO2.

I really think the list you have now will work just fine. Your sword will appreciate the use of root tabs. For the others, liquid ferts should do fine or you could look into some of the dry ferts.

i don't think i really want the carpet effect just would like some small plats to fill up the front. Sounds like a plan hopefully can have it all planted sometime next week, still trying to figure out if i should order online, try my overpriced LFS, or find another pet store that sells the plants. Thanks for the h

Several members here sell plants, you could check out the classified forum and maybe post a "wanted" thread and see if anyone in your area can give you a better price.

For high light plants you'll need more lighting, not just CO2.

I really think the list you have now will work just fine. Your sword will appreciate the use of root tabs. For the others, liquid ferts should do fine or you could look into some of the dry ferts.

yeah im going to be ordering the root tabs and seachem ferts. i will look into the dry ferts as well.

ok just spent the past 2 and a half hours planting some plants. the plants that i got that were in a bunch were a pain in the butt to get in. Hopefully i did this right. Here is a pic and can i get some constructive criticism and how can i make it better. Thanks again for everyone that helped.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I like it. Good use of depth, asymmetrical, pretty natural look. Could use some taller plants in the background. Maybe some vals or the like... those swords will fill in soon though, so you could wait.

thanks! yeah i def thinking about getting some jungle val. maybe this weekend. ive been having little problem with some stem plants coming out of the gravel.

Back
Top Bottom