My first attempt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobbieHadley

Aquarium Advice Freak
So here's my first attempt at a planted tank. I have always had fake plants, but finally decided to do the jump to live plants. It's a 10 gal, substrate is Eco-Complete fine grade, currently using a Awueon Floramax bulb, but doesn't really look bright enough so I've got a Zoo Med Ultra Sun bulb coming that should be here tomorrow. Just planted it today with Dwarf Hairgrass, Narrow Leaf Java Fern, 2 Anubias Nanas, Amazon Sword, and a Windelov Java Fern and hope to get either Xmas or Hava Moss in the next week or two. Currently housing a school or WCMM and getting some Blue Velvet shrimp that should arrive next week. Tanks sits at 75*F. And I know most won't agree to me housing WCMM in a 10 gal but they do great, are very happy, and have even bred for me (this was a bare bitten tank for them before I decided to convert to planted). And since planting, they seem even happier. Any advice on pruning and trimming the above mentioned plants would be great

Those plants arent fast growers and with that light they wont grow too much. Just clip any dead leaves. Also, make sure the java fern and anubias roots arent buried in the substrate, the roots will rot.

Yea I understand they aren't fast growers, but that's ok, this is an experiment tank of sorts since I've never done a planted tank before. And thanks for the advice on the roots, I did not know that! I'll go pill them up above now. So do I just kind of leave them on top of the substrate then? I've heard I can tie the Anubias to my driftwood.

If you want it to sit on the substrate, you can bury in the little roots that stick down off the crone(rhizoid). Just keep the crone sitting on top of the substrate. Don't bury it or it will rot slowly and the plant will die. I have had two planted this way for over a year and they have gotten about 10" x 10" and put out flower stalks several times. Good luck, OS.

Ok cool thanks OS. I may try that then. My driftwood isn't big enough for me to tie both Anubius to it, as well as the Java Fern, especially since I want lay a cover of moss on it lol.

Low light plants w/ Anubia

Here is a picture of my low/medium light, low tech 16g bowfront. It shows what you can grow with lower light. The Anubia I'm referring to is the one wide leaf plant on the left side. This was back in August, It is twice this size now. The tall back plants are Crypt Wendti.
Ozelot sword on right side rear. OS.

Attachments

• DSCF1059.jpg
    DSCF1059.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 87
Oh wow that's beautiful! I'm hoping I have a green enough thumb for this haha I've kept a bamboo plant alive for the last 3 years so I should :D

Back
Top Bottom