My first attempted at a planted.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottVinVA

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, I went out and got plants for my tank. It is currently cycling. Well at least I am using something like bio-spira. It says you can add fish after 24 hours. It has been 3 days and I was not comfortable adding fish, so I went out and bought plants. I got the rocks from my parents.

Here is a link to the photo:
26gal Bowfront ($80 - used with heater and lighting)
Fluval 304 ($70 from Big Al's)
6 plants (actually ended up being 8 because a couple of the plants were doubled up, woo hoo)
Flagstone (free)
Pea Gravel (free)

Any suggestions for making it more natural?

http://www.veirs.org/photos/tanks.jpg

I am having problems keeping the plants in the gravel. Will they actually root like that?

I would like a ground covering but not sure there is a fine enough base for it to hold/[/img]

they do eventually root into the gravel, mine are finally anchored pretty good and im gonna have to dig them up because im getting driftwood... lol.

My advice - hold off on adding any fish unless you're sure you're using Bio-spira. Even then, be careful. I've never used it before so I can't give any good advice on it, but all I can say is that it takes at least 3-4 weeks in most newly set up tanks before you can safely add fish. Stick with the plants, they look very nice :) I especially like the sword plant and the long sticky (I have no idea what it may be at this point :p ) plant :wink:. Patience young Skywalker :)

The decorations are very well done, though the larger tank could use some more plants (;)) Looks very nice.

id wait a while to add more plants...when i got my 29gal i got a lot...forgetting the fact that plants grow!!! now i have to remove some to give my fish some more swimming space... :mrgreen:

How did you "plant" the plants? Did you tie them down with anything or just push roots/rhizomes into the gravel? What will you use for an ammonia and nutrient source without having fish in the tank?

patagonia said:
id wait a while to add more plants...when i got my 29gal i got a lot...forgetting the fact that plants grow!!! now i have to remove some to give my fish some more swimming space... :mrgreen:

I tend to agree. I will get more plants, something more as a ground covering. I just wanted to get this started. Not sure what else I am going to do. I might get more flagstones and build a back wall with them tiled up about 3/4 of the hight.

:)

Jchillin said:
How did you "plant" the plants? Did you tie them down with anything or just push roots/rhizomes into the gravel? What will you use for an ammonia and nutrient source without having fish in the tank?

I used lead weight sticks, and wrapped one around each base and then pushed them into the gravel. I might need to add 1-2 more sticks per plant to keep it from pulling out when I put my arm in.

I am using
SeaChem's http://www.seachem.com/home/home.html
Stability http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/Stability.html

I have to put this in one cap a day for 7 days.

You will be limited on ground cover simply because you don't have CO2 or high wattage. I would say go for some good stem plants and cryps and fil that whole tank up with plants

Back
Top Bottom