My first big planted aquarium. Some questions that I need answered.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eaglemccloud

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm not sure this is the right spot for this post but, I'm still hoping for help. I'm setting up a 54 gallon corner tank. I have a standard twin bulb striplight with one marine glo bulb and one power glo bulb, and a glass canopy. My filter is a fluval 305. The plants I want to put in it are: Bamboo (live prefered), stargrass, Ludwigia (red star, repens), Myrio (red and green), Hydrocotyle spp (sibthorpioides), Cobomba (yellow, green, red), Water lettuce, Bushy plants (java moss, *pellia, java fern, onion plant, Japanese rush). My questions right now are:

1. What substrate would be best and how much?
2. Should I have a heating cable, if so what size?
3. What kind of lighting should I have or should I just keep my current lighting?
4. Is my filter good enough for what I want in the tank?
5. How many fish should I have in my tank?

The fish I would like to keep in this tank are: Gouramis (pearl, moonlight, snakeskin, Pygmy, croaking, chocolate, dwarf), Catfish (Cory), Loaches (kuhlii, clown), Barbs (no nippy barbs), Rasboras (harlequin, Pygmy), Bettas. Would like to have appropriate male/female ratios.

*Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. This is my first big aquarium that i've put live plants in, not counting my terrarium, and I'd rather set myself up for sucess rather than failure. Thanks.

Bamboo will rot if the leaves are submerged. The stalks can be submerged, but the top with the leaves needs to be out of the water.

1. It depends on what you want to pay. Flourite and EcoComplete are nice, but expensive. I've got sand and blasting media in my planted tanks.

2. Some people swear by their heating cables, most say they're not necessary. I don't use them so I can't really say one way or the other.

3. Do you know the wattage of your lights? If you're serious about a planted tank, you'll probably want to upgrade to T5HO or LED. It'll let you grow a wider variety of plants, but you'll have to inject CO2 and ferts.

4. That's a good filter for a planted tank.

5. I'd stay away from clown loaches. They'll grow 12"-18" long. Keeping them in a small tank stunts their growth. Gouramis and bettas generally don't mix either. Their both anabantids and they like to fight.

I think I'd go with something like this:
- 10 cories
- 10 khulis
- 6-8 five-band barbs - They look like tigers, but they stay small and are pretty docile.
- 6-8 rasbora heteromorpha or 10-12 rasbora hengeli

My responses in blue:

I'm not sure this is the right spot for this post but, I'm still hoping for help. I'm setting up a 54 gallon corner tank. I have a standard twin bulb striplight with one marine glo bulb and one power glo bulb, and a glass canopy.

Lighting is without a doubt the most important place to start with a planted tank. I would need to know a little more about your lights. You said standard, I am guessing they are T8 florescents? How many watts each are they?

A MarineGlo light is an actinic bulb. It will not benefit FW plants. It is for simulating deep water light over coral reef systems. It won't provide any usable light to plants.

A PowerGlo bulb is 18000K in color temp. It is too high to benefit FW Planted systems.

Both of your bulbs need to be replaced with a bulb suitable for growing plants... something that is 6500K-10000K will be suitable. The closer to 6500K, the better.

Also need to know the size and wattage of the bulbs your fixture holds. This will help identify the type of plants you can grow if you keep this fixture, once you replace the bulbs.

My filter is a fluval 305. The plants I want to put in it are: Bamboo (live prefered), stargrass, Ludwigia (red star, repens), Myrio (red and green), Hydrocotyle spp (sibthorpioides), Cobomba (yellow, green, red), Water lettuce, Bushy plants (java moss, *pellia, java fern, onion plant, Japanese rush). My questions right now are:

The plants you have chosen are an interesting mix. You have chosen some more difficult plants to grow, especially for a beginner. Most of the plants you have chosen require medium light. I think with your current lighting (After you replace the bulbs), you would have some trouble with several of them. Water lettuce could present a problem as well... it is a floating plant and will block the light to your plants below... it also means no top (Which is ok...). The bamboo needs to grow emersed or it will die (the top/leaves have to be out of the water). Pellia can be extremely difficult (depending on the species), and many would require the addition of CO2 and high light. The Japanese Rush is not a true aquatic plant. It won't survive long submerged.

1. What substrate would be best and how much?

It depends on your budget and the look you want. Really just about any substrate will work for a planted tank. The best substrates in my opinion are substrates designed for planted tanks like eco complete and my favorite, ADA Aquasoil. But, these substrates tend to be very costly. A lot of folks have beautiful planted tanks and use pool filter sand, which is extremely economical. Regular aquarium gravel can work as well. It basically comes down to what you like. Plants will benefit from plant substrates, but this benefit can be made up by using things like root tabs under heavy root feeders to add nutrients to the substrate.

2. Should I have a heating cable, if so what size?

The consensus is these really aren't worth the money or the hassle. It wouldn't hurt anything, but it is doubtful you would see much advantage either.

3. What kind of lighting should I have or should I just keep my current lighting?

It depends... if you want to inject CO2 and plan to dose fertilizer, you could go with a higher light setup. T5HO fixtures work amazingly well over planted tanks. If you keep your current lighting, the bulbs would have to be replaced, and it would limit the plant choices you can make.

4. Is my filter good enough for what I want in the tank?

I think it is a little underpowered, especially with the multitude of fish you want to keep. If the tank is heavily planted, it could work just fine. Personally, I like to take the manufacture's recommendation for tank size and cut it in half... a fluval 305 is rated up to 70 gals... I would want something rated up to a 100 gals or so for a 55 gal tank.

5. How many fish should I have in my tank?
It depends on how many of each you get. There is no hard and fast rule that will give you a number of fish to get. \

The fish I would like to keep in this tank are: Gouramis (pearl, moonlight, snakeskin, Pygmy, croaking, chocolate, dwarf), Catfish (Cory), Loaches (kuhlii, clown), Barbs (no nippy barbs), Rasboras (harlequin, Pygmy), Bettas. Would like to have appropriate male/female ratios.

*Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. This is my first big aquarium that i've put live plants in, not counting my terrarium, and I'd rather set myself up for sucess rather than failure. Thanks.

Bulbs are 20 watt, t8 and 36" long. Had planned on replacing the marine glo. It was a left over from the salt tank before.

both bulbs need to be replaced if you want to grow plants with them.

Tank up and running, still need to upgrade lighting but making progress. Found some bamboo that sticks well out of the water and tank. They come out about 6" above the tank. Now I have questions on cycling the tank. Should I cycle with fish or do a fishless cycle?

Don't have any other plants yet. I do have two pieces of driftwood in the tank also.

Go with a fishless cycle. It's faster, simpler, and less work. You don't have to do constant testing and PWCs and you don't have to worry about killing the fish. Your plants will love the ammonia too.

Pretty sure my tanks almost ready. Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates have all been testing great. Now should I add plants first or should I add some fish?

I put fish in my tank and some more plants. I now have 4 red honey gouramis, 6 rasbora hets, 6 white clouds, 6 gold white clouds, and a clown loach. I also added 3 diandra, 3 hornwort, 3 anachris, and 3 water wisteria along with the 10 pieces of live bamboo ( all have leaves well above the water.

Any thoughts on my tank. I still plan on adding some fish including some kind of algae eater and maybe a roseline shark. and more plants. lights still need upgraded but I did change the marine glo bulb to a aqua glo bulb.

Pics up yay!!!!!!

i'm so proud of my tank. and you guys are all to thank, here's a picture of the tank today. i have more in my album from before.:thanks::flowers::)

34840-albums1800-picture12198.jpg

Back
Top Bottom