My first java moss attempt..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chazeman2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is my first attempt at any kind of plant. I used mesh from a craft store and wrapped some java moss to each rock with it. I will update with any problems or progress. Any general info on java moss is greatly appreciated.Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_4668-2.jpg
    DSC_4668-2.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 217
Really cool idea and layout! Java moss is super hard to kill so its really hardy. Grows quite quick under moderate-high light but still thrives in lower lighted tanks. Will attach to the rocks in about a week or two to a month, and you need to keep it under control- it spreads like a weed!

I've done something similar and it does work. It's good that you used mesh as it will give the moss something to attach to since it's hard for it to attach to smooth stones. Are you planning on keeping it trimmed to the shape of the rocks? That would look nice. If you do make sure you have a net handy to net out all the cut pieces. You'll have less floaties in the tank if you net them out right away.

I've done something similar and it does work. It's good that you used mesh as it will give the moss something to attach to since it's hard for it to attach to smooth stones. Are you planning on keeping it trimmed to the shape of the rocks? That would look nice. If you do make sure you have a net handy to net out all the cut pieces. You'll have less floaties in the tank if you net them out right away.

yeah i plan to keep them semi trimmed to the shape of the rocks. kinda want some little puff balls. thanks for the trimming tip!

Thats such a great idea! I just introduced java moss into my tank and the first thing was the floaties going everywhere. Are you planning on making a carpet? Does JM even carpet?

It can carpet. Just nit in the same way as normal plants. I have only seen people completely cover wherever they want to carpet with the moss in mesh and then grow it up.

I use door screen and suction cups to make moss walls. Currently using Flame Moss. Will post once mature.

I use door screen and suction cups to make moss walls. Currently using Flame Moss. Will post once mature.

just googled flame moss and it looks awesome! good luck with that. for the others i'm not planning on making a carpet, but more so some moss balls semi trimmed to the smooth rocks that they are attached to.

Back
Top Bottom