My first Planted Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What about water flow? I know that is important. I have an airstone, but in some corners of the tank I dont see plants moving a little bit.

Water flow is important in a planted tank as it helps keep detritus in suspension so filters can remove it but it also carries nutrients to plants. I don't use bubblers at all but use Koralia 240gph nano powerheads to increase circulation in tanks that need more current. I like to see my plants swaying gently.

That is what I figured for water flow. I think once I get my tank established with the cycle I will look into something for flow. Do you suggest a certain brand?

Would that work a 10 gallon tank or would I need a smaller one?

Well after a couple 50% water changes I have finally gotten my ammonia level down to 4 ppm. So now the true waiting can begin. Thanks for the help. Also, I think I will wait till I pick up my fish to get a water pump. There is a pretty good aquarium store near me so I will see what products they have.

Well after a couple 50% water changes I have finally gotten my ammonia level down to 4 ppm. So now the true waiting can begin. Thanks for the help. Also, I think I will wait till I pick up my fish to get a water pump. There is a pretty good aquarium store near me so I will see what products they have.

10 gallon is quite small for a powerhead. I would think your filter would give enough circulation. Then again i may be wrong. Need any more advice just shout

Alight thanks! Someone suggested to me to look into a nano hydor pump 180 model. Its not a powerhead just a normal pump. I have an air stone, but I think I would like something that is more quiet.

I dont think air stones do much. Just create 'surface agitation' which allows gases from the air into the water. I think their circulation credentials are pretty limited

I agree from what I have observed. I think a littler water pump would be more beneficial in terms of spreading nutrients throughout the tank.

I agree from what I have observed. I think a littler water pump would be more beneficial in terms of spreading nutrients throughout the tank.

Surely your filter gives out some flow though?? I think Rivercats has a powerhead as her tanks are large. Above 50gallons i think

yeah the filter does provide some water flow most of it is obviously on the side of the tank that it is located.

What I should probably do is remove the hood and get a bigger filter and a light bar, possibly a heater that I can adjust manually.

I thought about buying a bigger tank, but being my first one I wanted to see if I could keep plants alive and fish happy. I'm sure once I do I will get a bigger tank. Just going to have to wait and see what happens. The ammonia is where it should be so now I'm just waiting for the cycle to work. Most of this is thinking out loud for me lol.

Bigger tanks are easier to keep fish alive in. Harder for maintenance though

I agree with this, I find maintenance easier though. With smaller tanks I hate walking back and fourth with a cup of water, with a big tank you just siphon Ito a big bucket and use the hose!

Well theres more glass to clean. More water to change out. More surface area for detritus to collect. Etc... Etc...

On a 10g tank if you move your filter to where the output flows into the middle of the tank it will usually hit the front glass, split and circulate to both sides of the tank. But if you have a lot of plants or large driftwood you often need a small PH on one side of the tank and the filter output on the other. I have tanks from 6g up to 220g tanks.

Back
Top Bottom