My First Planted Aquarium Society Meeting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pitt420dude

Aquarium Advice Addict
Pittsburgh! Home of the 6 Time Superbowl Champs!
Last night I went to and joined Pittsburgh Area Planted Aquarium society ("PAPAS").

It was pretty cool, there were about 12 of us there. I showed up a little early and two members showed me around the store that hosts the meetings. It is only about a 15 minute drive from my home, and a really nice store. It's called A&B oddball pets and they had the nicest selection of kribs I've ever seen. They had everything, but their kribs were fabulous looking and especially impressed me (I've been hunting for a handsome female).

There, they had a 40 gal. breeder with nothing in it except water, a flourite substrate, and an Eheim input and output. It was quite a sight. A perfectly set up blank canvass. They also had a 2.5 nano setup for us to aquascape.

We handled some business, ate some pizza, and then planned for future meetings or possible plant/rock/DW/photography hunting trips, and then got down to business scaping the nano and 40 gal breeder.

It was really cool talking to so many people who all knew so much. Imagine getting together with a group of your AA buddies, and then basically running rampant in a fish store: it's pretty much what we did.

All of the materials to aquascape (wood, plants, substrate, rock) were provided by members. We did the 2.5 nano Iwogami (sp?) style with just tufts of dwarf hairgrass, some small rocks, and a LOT of pickings from a plant (I forget the name but it looks like tiny spoons).

I stayed for 3 hours and as I left we had the hardscape in the 40 gal: A large beautiful piece of malaysian driftwood, with some other pieces behind it formed to make it look like one big sprawling piece, and some rocks.

It was really fun. It was like someone saying "Hey, why don't you do this thing you love to do, but use my money and materials to do it!" It was also really great actually watching how other people aquascape. Seeing what they put where, how they arranged things, what thier personal views and preferences were, the pros and cons of different arrangments. It was evident that the members really knew their stuff.

Next meeting I'll hopefully have some wares to offer, but I just wanted to make a post to tell everyone what we did, how much fun I had, and ask about any clubs you may belong to and what you do?

P.S. An T-iasg, Tim says Hi.

Glad you enjoyed it. While you can get tons of great info and advice on forums such as these, there's a whole different aspect to local clubs. The face to face time and events are great. Sounds like you've found a good one, enjoy it!

I used to go to that store when it was All Oddball Aquatics. Tim is great - very nice and definitely knows his stuff! I miss talking with him! Tell him I said "hi" too!

Sounds wonderful. Unfortunately I only have a Fish Club in my area, nothing specific to planted aquariums. Of course I'm having fun converting the members to live plants, so there are some benefits to the situation. Take pictures next time!

Take pictures next time!

Okay, I will. In both senses: (1) I'm gonna take pictures of my tank to show them; and (2) I'll try to snap a few pics of the members, what we do, and of the tanks we aquascaped.

you can check it out here: PAPAS Index.

The homepage is nice, but besides some quite inactive forums, no other links work.

Back
Top Bottom