My first planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

furrymurray

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok this started about 6 weeks ago when my son wanted a tank so we started with a 20 gallon and bad advice from the LFS. With the help from AA we got thru that cycle and I became addicted.

So then I got a 58 gallon bow front for MY tank. This is my set up. Medium gravel with laterlite and the front of the tank has PFS so my loaches can dig without up rooting my plants. So far so good with that :). I have 2 t5 lights. One 10000 and the other 6500k. I have the following plants; giant hygro, amazon swords, bronze wendtii, aponogeton undulatus, red val, water sprite and a josephs coat that will be removed since it isnt an aquatic plant.

Fert are flourish tabs and liquid and excel as soon as it comes in the mail. Any ideas, suggestion, or any other advice? Thanks :)

Attachments

• image-3122990693.jpg
    image-3122990693.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 140
furrymurray said:
Ok this started about 6 weeks ago when my son wanted a tank so we started with a 20 gallon and bad advice from the LFS. With the help from AA we got thru that cycle and I became addicted.

So then I got a 58 gallon bow front for MY tank. This is my set up. Medium gravel with laterlite and the front of the tank has PFS so my loaches can dig without up rooting my plants. So far so good with that :). I have 2 t5 lights. One 10000 and the other 6500k. I have the following plants; giant hygro, amazon swords, bronze wendtii, aponogeton undulatus, red val, water sprite and a josephs coat that will be removed since it isnt an aquatic plant.

Fert are flourish tabs and liquid and excel as soon as it comes in the mail. Any ideas, suggestion, or any other advice? Thanks :)

How many watts are Ur lights? As far as Ur tank goes I really like it! It's so clean and neat! Loving the background!! My suggestion would be get foreground plants. The type of plants depend on the light u have

Here's a good link for plants.

http://plantgeek.net/

I have two 39 watt t5ho light. I would like some foreground plants. I just dont know what to get. So far everything I have came from the LFS so anything else I will have to order online

I have been looking at some foreground plants. I am looking for more of clumps instead of a carpet look. Would micro swords work in my set up?

furrymurray said:
I have been looking at some foreground plants. I am looking for more of clumps instead of a carpet look. Would micro swords work in my set up?

I have bylxa as a foreground plant but it requires medium high light. Not sure if Ur lights is sufficient! I have no knowledge with lights.

Foreground to midground you can do any of the any of the anubais species such as the nana which grow slow by are very hardy. You can also try some of the crypts. Just check full growth size and plan for that. Micro swords would probably work or maybx some standard tears, not baby tears as they require higher light and co2. Also stay away from mondo grass being sold at alot of lfs.. it might stay alive for a month or two.. but is not an aquatic species and will foul your tank up as it dies

I think a piece of wood cutting from right to left ending just passed the center covered with moss would look great. Seems to me the tank is off to a fine start.

rich311k said:
I think a piece of wood cutting from right to left ending just passed the center covered with moss would look great. Seems to me the tank is off to a fine start.

I agree.. I think every planted tank looks so much better with a nice piece of wood.. heck any tank could look better.

I have some drift wood but it hard to see in the picture because it kind of tall. I think the dw would look cool with something planted in the hollow part. (see picture my dojo loach is pointing to the hollow) The yellow fish are mollies. Thanks everyone for the ideas :)

Attachments

• image-2999668647.jpg
    image-2999668647.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 84
Back
Top Bottom