my first planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leoffensive

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i received a topfin 5.5 gallon starter kit tank from my friend a month ago(took the fish in there and added them to my community tank.

i decided to take a stab at a planted tank. i read about starting them and just got super confused with all the different ways of going about it but liked the use potting soil then capping with fine gravel.

so bought some organic potting soil from walmart and "barrowed" some fine gravel from work that we use for doing concrete weld(kinda funny cause its the same stuff ive seen at one of my lfs)

bought some assorted plants from petco(lfs didnt have small plants to fit in the 5.5 that i liked) and a piece of wood.

got a coralife bulb to replace the incandescent bulb in the hood and a heater.

set it up let it run for a few weeks checked the water and all looked good so i added a sparkling gourami.

got 2 unknown fish from another friend today and added them(may put them in 55 gallon after confirmation on what they are and how big the get)

all is doing well

ill probably add a few shrimp later.

what are your thoughts

heres a few pics

img_2744121_0_5421d6e103a7a8faf03789654603b3ae.jpg

img_2744121_1_fbc43372386cd27eae32d76f842945f2.jpg

img_2744121_2_75002a5f9b113c151e63950c758590d7.jpg

Looks like you're off to a good start...

The plant in the back left looks like java fern and should not be planted in the substrate. It should be tied to your driftwood or stone.

I'm jealous of that sparkling gourami... Beautiful little fish. (y)

one i think is called moneywort and the grassy one is called dwarf something lol i dunno.

Back
Top Bottom