My first planted tank - don't laugh!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd put the java fern in back because they are the tallest features in the tank (aside from the DW). Having them up front draws the focus towards that area and everything behind it is ignored IMO.
Make sure the clamp is secure...I've had those kind of lamps slip down over time. Luckily I had a plastic cover on the tank.
Too bad they don't sell the individual sheets. If you can find a glass top then go for it.
I think the wattage is okay, just look for the ones I mentioned in previous posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Will do. I took some of the wood out because I set up my sisters tank and it was for her. I still want to look for some kind of focal piece that will sit in front of the sponge filter and hide it a little so I'll have to go rock hunting. I have to run out tomorrow so I'll look for a canopy or something for the top. In the meantime I'm unplugging the whole thing when I leave the house. I'll be back when I have updates. Thanks guys!

Fortunately for you Egg, CT is full of rocks. Just grab a shovel if you don't see one on the surface you like. All the rain and warm temps we've had lately the ground is still pretty soft.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Oh yeah and my backyard is full of woods so i have all sorts of goodies to choose from. There are so many downed trees with beautiful pieces, but I don't have a saw...that is also on my list haha!

Ha ha !!! Careful with them saws. They bite really bad. I don't have enough hands for mine.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

i think its looking good... far better than what i have been trying to do for a couple months now.. most of mine turn brown and die. I did get some from a couple guys here and they are the only ones i have been able to keep alive. I also have very low lighting. It is stock from an aquarium kit, i had no clue it mattered at the time.

Hi Amy,
I bought some Leaf Zone and Seachem Comprehensive since I had really low light and nothing else in the tank and I've noticed a difference already, that stuff isn't too expensive so it might be worth a try! I've been told that these plants absorb most of the nutrients through the water column as opposed to through the roots so it's the best way to fertilize them without a high tech setup. Other plants may benefit more from root tabs in the substrate but it depends on what you have.

Hi Egghead,
I've tried leaf zone and CO2 Booster, didn't notice a differance with either one. I have java moss ( doing fair), Amazon Sword ( brown spots, some leafs turn clear yellow), java fern, not sure of kind got it here ( only vibrant green I have), the long grass stuff ( does fair for a little while), last night I bought anabius ( I was advised that's easy and low light). I had anacharis but all died. I've used root tabs, have changed substate to the fluorite black gravel like stuff. Lol, not sure I spelled it right, hope you know what I mean. I have 30 lbs of that in the 29 gal. I'd like to see these plants grow, the angels are spawning and one is taking more abuse than the other. I think separating would stress them. They are always together, it's on occasion she is pecking at his (?) body. So I'd like him (?) to be able to get a break from her, and rejoin when he's ready. Usually only a couple minutes.

Hi Egghead,
I've tried leaf zone and CO2 Booster, didn't notice a differance with either one. I have java moss ( doing fair), Amazon Sword ( brown spots, some leafs turn clear yellow), java fern, not sure of kind got it here ( only vibrant green I have), the long grass stuff ( does fair for a little while), last night I bought anabius ( I was advised that's easy and low light). I had anacharis but all died. I've used root tabs, have changed substate to the fluorite black gravel like stuff. Lol, not sure I spelled it right, hope you know what I mean. I have 30 lbs of that in the 29 gal. I'd like to see these plants grow, the angels are spawning and one is taking more abuse than the other. I think separating would stress them. They are always together, it's on occasion she is pecking at his (?) body. So I'd like him (?) to be able to get a break from her, and rejoin when he's ready. Usually only a couple minutes.

Do you have root tabs under the amazon sword?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay guys I'm back. I got a glass canopy, some higher rated bulbs (not in yet). I took out a piece of the wood and left only one in there because it's getting crowded. I grabbed some rocks and cleaned them up. Here' some pics of a loose "scape"...don't mind all the little pieces of water lettuce roots they exploded everywhere. I think it's a little overdone with all of the java fern and I'll probably move some into my 35.
I'll keep messing around with it and posting new pics. On a good note, I haven't killed any plants yet!

Thanks Amy :)
I'm nowhere near happy with it yet but I really need these plants to start rooting so I can put them in a more permanent place.
I have to keep the back left open for the sponge filter. I'll keep chugging along!

How deep is your substrate. You usually want at least 2".
3" is supposedly ideal, but in my small tanks, that's too much.

Swords need root tabs, but bury them deep. Space out stems so leaves are almost touching.

I use Leaf Zone and Flourish Comprehensive so I'm getting Micros and Macros. I use Excel for a Carbon source and weekly water changes. My root tabs are DIY
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419718519.145051.jpg

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey David,
I don't have much in there for substrate, I had a partial bag left of black beauty so I put what I could in there until I get more.
I only have the one sword which was an impulse buy (ok so I survived two trips to the LFS only buying plants not fish haha) I'll get some root tabs for it.
Do you think I have too many ferns in there? I can push them more to the back or retank them elsewhere.
I'm dosing the leaf zone and seachem once a week and doing a 30% WC, I've been throwing a bubbler in there too for some water movement.
And your tank looks fantastic as always

David ?

As far as too many plants you're talking to the person who grows a jungle before I'll thin it out LOL

Tina
still not a dude

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoops sorry Tina I swore it was Fresh who posted that my apologies!

Thanks Amy :)
I'm nowhere near happy with it yet but I really need these plants to start rooting so I can put them in a more permanent place.
I have to keep the back left open for the sponge filter. I'll keep chugging along!

hey egghead, even though the ones i have planted have roots, everytime i do PWC some come up. i must have at least 3 - 4 inches of florish gravel type substrate. that is possibly why so many of mine dont make it. i plant them deep so im not sure what the issue is... weird...

TINA!!! yay, i know your name... you may not remember but you helped me months ago. you taught me so much about the importance of not being OCD clean on the fish tanks that what is dirty looking to me is BB to the fish.. since your help (nightly for over a week) my fish have really been thriving much better. i must have been starting a new cycle each week when i changed the water. the deaths i have had seem to have all come from an independently owned store. spent over $200.00 in 2 months on fish only to have them die, longest one lived for 12 weeks... they cant figure out why im not happy. i lost 5 angle fish in 3 days, my water was perfect. needless to say i wont be going there anymore.

Back
Top Bottom