My first planted tank - don't laugh!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Egg - I don't think you have too many ferns in there. Staggered along the back it will create a curtain of green. But it is a matter of personal preference.
The root fragments from the water lettuce means it's going through some transition to the conditions in your tank; it may stabilize or go downhill. Under the cfl is should do okay.
I missed it; how deep is the substrate? If it is too shallow then it might explain why the plants won't stay put. The snails in my shrimp tank keep uprooting mine. Once the roots grow in it will be better.
My tanks have been a work in progress. I'm pretty content with them but always willing to try out new plants now and then. Lots of folks have inspiring tanks here and there's always something to learn from them.
David

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey , good to hear you stuck around. Glad I could help [emoji106][emoji2]

Sorry to hear you lost fish.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I owe it to you. I'm hooked, love the hobby, I have the 20long and a 29, but I'd really like something much larger. Lol. I still don't understand the chemistry of the water, but know how to keep it prime. Or so it seems. Just wanted to let you know your help is/was appreciated and listened too.

I owe it to you. I'm hooked, love the hobby, I have the 20long and a 29, but I'd really like something much larger. Lol. I still don't understand the chemistry of the water, but know how to keep it prime. Or so it seems. Just wanted to let you know your help is/was appreciated and listened too.

Thank you, that's Excellent. You are welcome. [emoji106][emoji228][emoji226][emoji225]

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm okay with it being dense with plants. The stuff you gave me I'll probably bunch up a little more or make it more uniform I was just plugging it down in the substrate. I can see some roots growing already.
It's less than an inch thick at the bottom. I don't have any more to put in at the moment so it will do for now.
I'm debating picking up the CPDs in a week or so and then hopefully I can find some habrosas at the fish auction later in January.

Resorted so I'm in a bit better shape I guess. I'm still not super happy with it, too much uniformity. I'll probably bring some of the smaller ones a bit more forward and bunch some of the taller guys.
Other than that, I'll start stocking soon so I'll be back with updates then.

By the way David - that water lettuce is doing fantastic in my 55. I took everything back out of the 35 and 15 and dumped it in there and some in my fry tank. The SDs haven't bothered it much than an occasional munch but what isn't stuck to the filter is thriving!

Egg - That tank looks great. Don't worry about the uniformity now. As things grow and fill in it will look more natural. Just replant the trimmings in a staggered fashion between the taller stems.
Good to hear about the water lettuce. I've had poor luck with it indoors in the past. I never made it out to the LFS so I have a stinking bucket of it at home. I might see what I can salvage or just wait for the new batch to grow.
Happy New Year!!!

Looking good over there egg!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks guys! I'll keep plugging away. I'm pretty excited I haven't killed any of the plants yet.
Do you guys have set intervals where you trim or only when it gets to be unruly? How often can you propagate on purpose to make more plants?
I got some stronger rated CFLs, they're still only in the 4k range but better than what I had.
A few pond snails have popped up but not a concern, I just scoop them out and put them in the tank with my assassins :)
You do realize that you are all going to get me in trouble...I smell CO2 questions in the future!

I'm not sure about when to trim as I'm not a plant person but let me know when you do. CT is small enough that we may be in each other's backyards and not even know it.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

DIY CO2!!!!! Not the true Dark Side but it is a nice stepping stone...

As far as propagation I cut my stem plants when I start seeing roots grow and my java fern when the plantlets have 2-3 leaves about an inch long

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah the java fern I'm okay with I've done that like twice just the others I wasn't sure.
I can hold off on the DIY CO2 for now :)
In less than two years I went from a grungy free tank to four tanks, 44 fish, 48 fry, 150+ eggs, plants, prepping my own driftwood, substrate changes, different types of filters, plans to buy a 120g, and so much reading everyone thinks I'm insane.
Everyone's help is much appreciated!

Right now I have a wisteria plant that sprouted roots 3 days ago. Today they are down in the substrate, i am going to give the roots a week to pick up some of the substrate before I replant it. I find that when the plants already anchored themselves it is alot easier to replant.

I know the feeling about people thinking you are insane...my girlfriend doesn't understand why I have a $150 light for my plants...

Yeah the java fern I'm okay with I've done that like twice just the others I wasn't sure.
I can hold off on the DIY CO2 for now :)
In less than two years I went from a grungy free tank to four tanks, 44 fish, 48 fry, 150+ eggs, plants, prepping my own driftwood, substrate changes, different types of filters, plans to buy a 120g, and so much reading everyone thinks I'm insane.
Everyone's help is much appreciated!

That's awesome Egghead! I totally wish I had more room so I can go to a larger tank or add more. My apt is a 2 bedroom and I have it set up more for my 6 yr old girl to have her toys and whatnot readily available to her. I'm trying to clear out the old, after Santas visit. I just find the desire to have more aquariums to be overpowering me. I only have a little 20Long and 29 gal. I'd really like to go face first into a 100+. I still have much to learn though, I have a rotten black thumb that can't keep any plant alive. Well 1 that I got on here ( I think from Brookster). But I manage to kill everything else. My last attempt was last night tying java fern or maybe sword plants to my driftwood with java moss, I bought anacharis a couple days ago not knowing not to plant the rhonzime so I killed that , going to try and bring it back to life.
Anyway, what your doing looks great. I know how time consuming it is to tie the plants to rocks especially when we haven't really done that before. Keep up the great work. Please post picks of your other tanks. Thanks for sharing your venture on planting, hoping I also learn some here. :)

Thanks Amy! We have to make mistakes so we know what not to do ;)
Luckily for me I have a two bedroom place all to my lonesome so no one can tell me no. Just that I'm nuts. Haha!
I've always killed house plants so this was an intimidating endeavor, but I keep trucking along and so far haven't done too bad. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it!

Wow that is so funny, you can see the tannin grow stronger throughout the life of the pictures

Sent from my fish tank

Yeah but I personally like the tannins, so no complaints here!

Hey David - here's the picture of the ammania with the side shoots. They're all over the place. Excuse the dirty glass!

I believe those are called adventurous roots. Common in most stem plants. Not exactly sure why they develop but it may have to do with stem plants having to adapt to fluctuating substrate and water levels. Some find then unsightly and trim them. I think it makes them easier to trim and replant. If you decide to trim them, do so just below where the roots come out. The root(s) will give the trimmed stem a better chance to become established. The remaining stem should sprout new grow in a few weeks (or less).
Those plants look healthy :)

I believe those are called adventurous roots. Common in most stem plants. Not exactly sure why they develop but it may have to do with stem plants having to adapt to fluctuating substrate and water levels. Some find then unsightly and trim them. I think it makes them easier to trim and replant. If you decide to trim them, do so just below where the roots come out. The root(s) will give the trimmed stem a better chance to become established. The remaining stem should sprout new grow in a few weeks (or less).
Those plants look healthy :)

+1 my anacharis gets this alot right below a new branch. Sometimes i let them root other times i cut amd replant

Back
Top Bottom