My first planted tank (updated!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here it is!
img_702201_0_2aff1d30a2a252be5f82cb6f66fd9571.jpg

This is a much more clear photo.

I have in there a pile of java moss, 2 banana plants, 2 corkscrew vals, temple plants, aponogetons and maybe something else 8)
My only question is about the java moss...
You can't tell from this pic, but its overtop a big white rock in the middle. I've got it held down with some smaller flat stones. Is this okay to keep it down this way until it makes friends with the big rock?

a better way to hold the java moss is to tie it down with either cotton thread or fishing line. the cotton thread will rot away after a bit and the moss should be attached by then or u can use fishing line(i prefer fishing line) and tie it to the rock. this will hold it firsm and u will hardly be able to see the line. once it grows a bit it will become completly invisible. i cant wait for a clear pic :)

Congraulations on setting up your first planted tank. What size is it (29g ?) and what kind of lighting are you using? I see that you have a Filstar canister filter which was a good choice IME.

I second the recommendation on using fishing line to hold down the Java moss BTW.

lol i forgot to ask all those questions!!!
tank size, light, substrate, filtration, fertalizers, co2.... anything that u can tell us about your tank would be helpful.

Here is a closer look at the newly tied down java moss. I was thinking I could find a round red rock, put it right in front of the white rock and it would look like rudolph.

img_702588_0_c85d7dc61aede4a5186d5416647efb5d.jpg

Tank info is:
55 gal
T5 dual strip 42 watts 6700K full spectrum (I do wonder if I need more light)
Flourite gravel mix (50/50)
xp3
No co2, no fert
Tank is still cycling

that tank looks soo much smaller than a 55 gal.... why? what are the dimentions of it? it looks ok right now but u really need some more plants in there. the hard scape will really come to life once it is a little more sourounded. u should really try to get some crypts in there so fill space. they love lower lighting and look awesome. i cant wait for update shots.

Back
Top Bottom