My first step to a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocket2001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just added my first live plant to my 29 gal community tank (med sized Amazon Sword)..i have no idea what to do next... I don't know the watts of my florecent light over the tank but I do know my tank holds steady at 20ppm of Nitrates...by the way the tank seems plenty bright . Eventually i'd like to replace all the fake plants in my tank with live ones, it would be lightly to moderately planted..what should i be doing next...fertilizer?...CO2? Leave it alone?

The bulb of the light should say the amount of watts it provides. If its the stock bulb than chances are it wont be enough watts for most plants.

If it's a common strip light you've probably got 1 wpg. Not enough light to grow an Amazon sword. CO2, ferts, and lighting all must find a balance. You really can't do just one.

Actually if it's a stock light, it's a single 20w tube, so he's got just under 1 wpg.

It might seem bright to you, but remember plants typically have almost full sunlight in their native environment.

yup, do research on proper lighting and water chemistry requirements for each plants specie BEFORE you plant them. It's likely that you will need at least 2 flourescent strips of the length/strength that you currently have, and YOu should probably invest in plant bulbs at your local fish store.

make sure the plants you pick out will tolerate your pH, KH, and GH levels. Your nitrate levels should support some plant growth...

Make sure your substrate is adequately deep (2-3" is usually suggested, esp. for swords) .

Also, looking at it wholistically, it may benefit you to plant all of the rest of the plants at the same time, then let your biological cycle come into balance. Patience is key in this aspect.

Again, doing more research on aquatic plant care will never hurt...
Good luck!

Check out ebay for lighting, there are some great deals. 2.5 to 3 watts per gal. With the lighting, I would definately use DIY co2, it works wonders, especially on a tank your size. Also consider something like Flourish plant tabs.

I'll assume you have a standard hood with a single tube light which would be 20 watts. I would suggest a glass hood such as a Versa Glass Top TWIN TUBE, I think you'll need the 30' top but double check and a Compact Fluorescent light. which will get you around 2 wpg or higher depending on the brand you purchase.

Your Amazon Sword needs more light then you currently have. Check out http://www.plantgeek.net you can research plants by ease of growth, light requirements. etc...

You'll also need to research ferts, the Seachem flourish line has worked very well for me.

Purchase your hood, light and ferts online, its much cheaper then the lfs or large pet stores.

Good Luck!

Agreed that Ebay is a decent place to look for lighting: I got my dual-45 watt power compact with bulbs for $40!!! It was a steal.

Back
Top Bottom