My first truely planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Latest pic of my tank. Took the driftwood out. Was taking up so much room. Need a smaller piece. Or a nice manzanita branch.

Attachments

• image-3371931158.jpg
    image-3371931158.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 231
So I have a question. I'm using flourish comprehensive. Should I still be dosing as much as it says on the bottle or should I be dosing more or more often. It seems like I would need more as my tank fills in with plants as it has already.

Honestly with as many plants as you have you might want to consider changing to dry ferts. Not only are they cheaper but you will then be dosing your plants with both micro and macro nutrients that they need. Plus you can adjust your dosing as needed. Do you use any liquid carbon or CO2?

Honestly with as many plants as you have you might want to consider changing to dry ferts. Not only are they cheaper but you will then be dosing your plants with both micro and macro nutrients that they need. Plus you can adjust your dosing as needed. Do you use any liquid carbon or CO2?

After reading on here a lot dry ferts was what I was planning. Was going to wait till I go through my bottle of comprehensive. I have DIY co2. When I started the tank I was afraid to use dry ferts. It just seemed like too much for a newbie like myself. Is it difficult? And do you know if I should dose more of the comprehensive that I have til it's gone or stick to what it says on the bottle?

You can slowly add alittle more BUT if you start getting an algae problem you need to back off again.

Here is a link to GreenLeafAquariums.com where I get all my dry ferts and this is the macro/micro package you'd need... Micro & Macro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

I also suggest getting 3 of these dosing bottles. One for micro mix, one for nitrates, one for phosphates and potassium. Alot of people mix all three macro's into one bottle but its easier to custom dose and adjust it when nitrates are mixed seperate from P&P. Fertilizer Dispenser | 1000 mL (32 oz) | Green Leaf Aquariums

Here is a good thread to read about dosing PPS-Pro which is what I use. You only need to read the actually part of the thread that gives the dosing amounts and other info, not all the posts afterwards. Also the ingredient list has MgSO4, magnesium sulfate, on it but unless you have ultra soft water you don't need this. Most tanks get plenty of magnesium from tap water during weekly WC's. Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central

Its very easy dosing this method.

You can slowly add alittle more BUT if you start getting an algae problem you need to back off again.

Here is a link to GreenLeafAquariums.com where I get all my dry ferts and this is the macro/micro package you'd need... Micro & Macro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

I also suggest getting 3 of these dosing bottles. One for micro mix, one for nitrates, one for phosphates and potassium. Alot of people mix all three macro's into one bottle but its easier to custom dose and adjust it when nitrates are mixed seperate from P&P. Fertilizer Dispenser | 1000 mL (32 oz) | Green Leaf Aquariums

Here is a good thread to read about dosing PPS-Pro which is what I use. You only need to read the actually part of the thread that gives the dosing amounts and other info, not all the posts afterwards. Also the ingredient list has MgSO4, magnesium sulfate, on it but unless you have ultra soft water you don't need this. Most tanks get plenty of magnesium from tap water during weekly WC's. Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central

Its very easy dosing this method.

Thank you so much for the info and the links! I really appreciate it.

PPS-pro says to does before the lights come on. Is that everyday with both micro and macro nutrients? Why before the lights come on? And how long before they come on if that matters?

Yes you dose PPS-Pro everday and from what I was told is the reason for dosing right before the lights are on is because some of the nutrients are limited in solution. When this was talked about on a thread before not everyone agreed but I figure it makes sense to put in the nutrients in right before lights are one so they are in there fresh and ready to go when the lights come on and the plants start their photosynthesis process. As for how far ahead I've read everywhere from dosing an hour ahead to right before lights go on. I ususally get mine in about 1/2 hour before my lights turn on (mine are on timers).

Yes you dose PPS-Pro everday and from what I was told is the reason for dosing right before the lights are on is because some of the nutrients are limited in solution. When this was talked about on a thread before not everyone agreed but I figure it makes sense to put in the nutrients in right before lights are one so they are in there fresh and ready to go when the lights come on and the plants start their photosynthesis process. As for how far ahead I've read everywhere from dosing an hour ahead to right before lights go on. I ususally get mine in about 1/2 hour before my lights turn on (mine are on timers).

Thank you!

Was wondering what wound be good plants that are other colors. I want more contrast of color. Like some nice reds or something. Also something not too huge since its only a ten gallon.

Any plant will have to be kept trimmed. You can go with crypt Wendtii's, red, bronze, Mi Oya, or Florida Sunset. You could do a Red Tiger Lotus and keep it trimmed to the size needed. If you have enough light you could possibly do Myriophyllum tuberculatum, Red Myrio, or Telanthera Rosefolia (Alternanthera reineckii).

Believe me! If I could do that I would. My wife would kill me. She even hates me talking about fish!

My husband just says god they are just fish grrrrrrr ;-) but then we will go to fish store then he will be looking in tanks,ill say thought you weren't interested and he will say im.not yeah i think !!

Back
Top Bottom