My fluval spec 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissajk

Aquarium Advice Freak
My first time doing a planted tank. I wanted to give my beta a new home. I think the water flows to strong for him. Does anyone have any suggestions how to slow down the flow? I have the pump turned all the way down. I

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1400909139079.jpg
    1400909139079.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 118
One week and everything looks happy. I added more plants. It's blocking the current and my betta is happy in his new homei

Attachments

• 1401581182243.jpg
    1401581182243.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 102
That is beautiful, I might do something very similar once my shrimpettes vacate my future betta home.

Thank you. I was interested in a shrimp tank. Are they easy to take care of?

Thank you. I was interested in a shrimp tank. Are they easy to take care of?

I only have ghost shrimp, they're not fancy but I love them. I bought three females all pregnant and they laid eggs. I have six loose in my community tank about a month old that survived on their own and we found nine more living in the filter (weird right?) so far I think the ones with out human intervention are growing faster. Now that we are feeding the filter babies( now breaking in the betta tank) baby brine they seem to be doing great!

The shrimp are great fun to watch. Mine are starting to turn gold and they're getting comfortable. They'll fight the fish to get a bit of frozen brine shrimp or the bottom feeder tabs. Highly recommend!

I've heard that bettas will eat them, but I've also had a friend buy one for the betta to eat and he left it alone. They lived together for a couple years before the shrimp finally died. I guess it depends on your betta. I would try to buy the biggest one they have so he not be as tempted. "If it fits, it's fit" rule, you know? My ghost shrimp will poke the community fish if they get too close. I think you have plenary of hiding places. Maybe just get one and see how it goes?

Very nice. I dream of doing a planted betta tank in a fluval spec 5 someday. Your tank is an inspiration.

Nice little betta home you established.

BTW, are those grassy plants in the foreground mondo grass? I think they are. Anyways, just wanted to warn you that they're not fully aquatic and will eventually rot on you. Might want to consider replacing them.

I'm not to sur e what kind of plant it is. I bought them at pet smart. The guy told me that they were a low light plant. Thank you for the info, I will check into what it is.

Nice little betta home you established.

BTW, are those grassy plants in the foreground mondo grass? I think they are. Anyways, just wanted to warn you that they're not fully aquatic and will eventually rot on you. Might want to consider replacing them.

I have mondo grass from petsmart too. And Brian is right I've had it three weeks and it looks terrible even with the co2.

It won't rot overnight. But it will eventually die a slow death if you leave it. I'd go back to petsmart with them and get your money back. If you want something similar, maybe Dwarf Sagittaria would work. Might have to buy it online though or find a LFS, not petsmart or petco.

I did look at them and the leaves are turning yellow. I think I will take them back. Thank you. I added 2 ghost shrimp today.

He tried to get them and the shrimp stood it's ground. Now the betta leaves them alone.

Looking good! I'm not sure how similar the setups are, but I have an evolve4 housing my betta, and flow was an issue for that tank as well. I just cut some holes in the return pipe (it's soft plastic on the evolve) until I had enough to provide a slow circulation that didn't stress mine out. That may be an option you'd want to consider if you ever want to rescape.

Back
Top Bottom