Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

My java fern trouble....

Hi, my tank is a freshwater 10 gallon tank.

The tank is still in cycle and is still going for 2 more weeks.

I had troubles with my lighting system and needed help on it to grow my java fern.

The java fern is now in a temporary cup with my tank water with natural sunlight for about 8 hours a day.

My tank is going to be in a dark place because all of the places in my room are used up.

The java fern is still young and when put in my tank, the distance the light is from the tank is 4 inches.

There will only be 1 java fern in my tank and after the cycle, my first 2 fish will be put in and after 1 week, my fern will be put in the tank and the fish's feces will be fertilizer for my java fern and the co2 the fish breathes out will be the air for my java fern's photosynthesis.

So is this a good light bulb for my java fern im saying.
And my headlight is only a 50/50 light bulb installation.

Aqueon® Mini Compact 50/50 Fluorescent Lamp - Lighting & Hoods - Fish - PetSmart

Thank you very much.

And if in case you wanted to know how my java fern, i dont have a picture, but i do have some descriptions:
It has black streaks
its starting to turn yellow a bit, but not fully
there are some holes in it, with some brown coloration around the holes.

I know my java is in some kind of disease, but i cant do anything for real, i might just need to buy a new java fern then.

But for now im more concerened in the lighting please, Thank you very much again

Old 07-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
This one would do a better job.

Zoo Med Laboratories 679914 ULTRASUN Compact Flourescent Bulb

Old 07-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

These are what I use with my hoods that are for screw in bulbs.

They are easier to come by and a lot less money.

GE Daylight Energy Smart Spiral T3

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not a Java Fern disease. It just is starving for nutrients. It is a water column feeder. It needs nutrients. Fish will help that, but right now- it's "starving".

Also- the holes and dark spots are likely where the plan has been damaged through handling. Usually won't die from that.

Java ferns are not demanding as far ad light is concerned. But it needs some "food".
Old 07-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batt4Christ View Post
Not a Java Fern disease. It just is starving for nutrients. It is a water column feeder. It needs nutrients. Fish will help that, but right now- it's "starving".

Also- the holes and dark spots are likely where the plan has been damaged through handling. Usually won't die from that.

Java ferns are not demanding as far ad light is concerned. But it needs some "food".
So how can i help my java fern? Should i give it fertilizer? Now, my java fern is in a isolated cup, about 1cm from water surface to the tip of its leaves. Since its only in a temporary cup, can i use decomposed grass (dried) as fertilizer and just spread it around the roots? If i was to use that, how much sunlight should i give it and how many times should i change the fertlizer?

By the time the tank is cycled, i would add my first 2 platys in the tank and after 1 week the fish lived in there, i would put in the java fern because the fish poop will become fertilizer for the java fern then.

Thank you

Tags
java, java fern, trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com