My Long Awaited 100g Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I should also mention that other than the hygros, there are also some small crypts and a couple patches of Echinodorus Vesuvius that are in the foreground that don't show up in the pictures at all. Once those grow and fill in it will help break up the front a lot

You could see If your shops can order anything. Losing leaves from the bottom is almost always due to a lack of light.

You could see If your shops can order anything. Losing leaves from the bottom is almost always due to a lack of light.

Thank you Jkeating8 i was just gonna ask what caused that i have narrow leaf ludwigia in my 10g doing the same thing but its fine in my 29 so i figured something was wrong.

Of the 3 shops, one is petco, one will special order, but all incurred costs will be passed on to me, including the only option of overnight shipping, and the third doesn't want to deal with live plants due to a lack of demand. There was a shop that had some stuff other than the basic typical options, but they unfortunately closed about a year ago... I liked them too

So I'm looking at my co2 system and I feel I'm wasting a lot due to how I have to have it set up. I use a ceramic in-line atomizer on my 406 to diffuse it, and it works great, except for one detail. If I ever lose pressure for an extended period ( I don't know if it's as little as 15 minutes or over an hour), water clogs the pores and it takes well over an hour (usually I leave it overnight) for the pressure to clear the pores and diffuse again. Because of this, I can't have my co2 injection follow the lights, it needs to be on 24/7. I have a drop checker and it never causes a problem overnight, but I'm still injecting when I don't have too.

My thought at solving this was to get a digital timer accurate to the minute, and for the dark hours, have it set up for something like 5-10 minutes off, then 1 or 2 on to build up the pressure again, then back off, etc etc. Problem is, I can't seem to find a timer with a high on/off switching capability, most limit it around 20 that I've found. A pH controller won't work either because of the extended dark time will deplete the pressure in the diffuser and when it kicks on, the first few hours won't do anything.

Thoughts?

EDIT: another thought I just had is how good is this going to be for the solenoid to constantly be switching??

Alright. Next topic. I kept my 55g set up as a QT and I'm quickly rebuilding my schools and adding others.

My question is how long do you typically keep new fish in QT? Couple weeks? A month? More-less?

Well little by little it's progressing. Got my blue LED strips in the mail and wired up for my moon lights tonight. Now I'm waiting on some alternanthera reineckii to show up for some much needed color.

Attachments

• image-3328097913.jpg
    image-3328097913.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 87
So I was stuck home today dealing with a busted well pump, but it gave me some time to ponder my co2 dilemma. (If your curious what dilemma I'm talking about, look back a couple posts in this thread)

What if I was to connect a "t" in my co2 line and attach an air pump to the diffuser line with all necessary check valves. Then whenever the co2 is off, I just make sure the air pump is on.

The only problem I can foresee is that instead of feeding a simple bubble wall/stone, it's going to be pushing air through an atomizer. Will the air pump bust at that level of back pressure?

Thoughts?

^^^^^^
Does any one know if an air pump will even create enough pressure to push air through a diffuser?

Two weeks in. Definitely fuller, especially the dwarf sag.

Attachments

• image-3096575441.jpg
    image-3096575441.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 93
One month in. My sword won't stop with the runners. Every time I look there's another branch growing. Still having some algae pop up on the anubias and swords, but keeping it under control with excel. Noticed this week some GSA on the glass. Oh how I love my feeble attempts at finding a tanks balance. Anyway, here's an updated shot. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388112800.247908.jpg

looks great. i love the plant bunch. only thing that bothers me here is the background picture. matter of taste i guess

I tried the black painted look that everyone likes on a 10g to see what I thought, and it hid everything great. I couldn't see the heater and the filter snuck out of sight for the most part, which was awesome. But, overall it just made the tank way too dark for my taste so I opted for a back ground.

Back
Top Bottom