My New 20 gal Betta Sorority

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thursyanna

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a semi-planted 20 gal up and running with DIY CO2 and decided to make it a betta sorority tank. I bought 4 females yesterday and added them to the tank. I noticed that the waterflow was too much for them to handle (Aqueon Flowmax 30) so I unplugged it. I can't figure out how to make the water come out slower so as not to stir up the fish. I still have the CO2 powerhead going but only for a short time in the evening. I could use some advise on this. Is there a way to slow down the filter flow so I can keep it running? Plus, how many more bettas can I add? I currently have 2 nerite snails in there with them. I was thinking about adding a couple of ottos but I'm not sure.

Attachments

• 2013-06-03 22.34.49.jpg
    2013-06-03 22.34.49.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 137
  • 2013-06-04 20.30.26.jpg
    2013-06-04 20.30.26.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 2013-06-04 20.30.22.jpg
    2013-06-04 20.30.22.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 2013-05-29 17.22.22.jpg
    2013-05-29 17.22.22.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 99
Well, I've stuffed a sponge in the waterfall part of the filter and tied another sponge around the intake so maybe that'll slow the flow down a lot. I feel like I need to keep it running because I have live plants in there with the CO2. Any help would be great on this!!

Nope. They seem to do OK as long as they each have their own space. Every once in awhile, one will chase another one but they don't seem too aggressive. I added more plants today and one more betta. Plus, I added a baby bumblebee goby and 3 cherry shrimp. The new girl is bigger than the ones I put in there yesterday and she seems to be more aggressive than the rest for now. I'll have to keep an eye on her.

A sponge filter may be the best bet for a betta.

I assume you've read about establishing and keeping betta sororities? (And technically, it's a sorority if there are nothing but female bettas in it.)

You should add all the fish at once, adding the least aggressive girl first, and introducing each one there after in about 15-20 minute intervals, ending with the most aggressive fish. The reason for that is to allow the shyest fish the opportunity to scope out a hiding place. When you add fish over a period of days or weeks, the resident fish have already established territory, and the news ones are viewed as intruders.

You need plenty of territories - with plants and rocks laid out in the tank so that if you stand at the narrow end and look into the tank, you shouldn't be able to see to the other end.

You also need as many back-up housing plans as you have bettas.

As to stocking, I'd use Aq Advisor to see how many more you could have.

I had 5-6 in a 16 bow front. Eventually you may start to see pairs form with bettas that will stick together all the time and generally won't mind eachother. There is a hierarchy with them, if this wasnt mentioned before. You can probably put about 8 females and 10 if your tank is heavily planted.

Thanks everyone for the help. I'll check into getting a sponge filter. Right now I have my filter shut off but I'm afraid it'll harm the plants without one running. I bought more plants and a rock yesterday. I have to wait for the next payday before I can buy more plants. The dominant female seems to be the one I added last. She has made it known that she's in charge. Here's a couple of pictures of my tank and dominant betta that I took last night.

Attachments

• 2013-06-05 18.19.19.jpg
    2013-06-05 18.19.19.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 92
  • 2013-06-05 18.16.43.jpg
    2013-06-05 18.16.43.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 2013-06-05 18.16.10.jpg
    2013-06-05 18.16.10.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 2013-06-05 18.15.03.jpg
    2013-06-05 18.15.03.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 75
Thanks everyone for the help. I'll check into getting a sponge filter. Right now I have my filter shut off but I'm afraid it'll harm the plants without one running. I bought more plants and a rock yesterday. I have to wait for the next payday before I can buy more plants. The dominant female seems to be the one I added last. She has made it known that she's in charge. Here's a couple of pictures of my tank and dominant betta that I took last night.

Is that a bumblebee goby in the last pic? Your tank looks nice!

Thanks. Yes, that's my new little bumblebee goby. She (or he) has found a cave in the rock he likes to hang out in now. He's fun to watch.

Thanks. Yes, that's my new little bumblebee goby. She (or he) has found a cave in the rock he likes to hang out in now. He's fun to watch.

I am wanting bumblebees so bad!!!! I can't buy them around here. I was pretty sure that's what it was. He is beautiful!

I was at my lfs yesterday looking through their plant tanks and spotted him. He was the only one they had so I decided he needed a home. He was only $6. I'd never seen one before and thought he was a cute little guy. I put plenty of hideouts in the tank in case the bettas start thinking he's food!

I was at my lfs yesterday looking through their plant tanks and spotted him. He was the only one they had so I decided he needed a home. He was only $6. I'd never seen one before and thought he was a cute little guy. I put plenty of hideouts in the tank in case the bettas start thinking he's food!

I would have brought him home too! They have great personalities, in my opinion! Enjoy him!

Back
Top Bottom