My new addiction.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daveydoodle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just hate this hobby! ;) I cannot for the life of me seem to keep money in the bank. This is more addictive than narcotics or alcohol!
Okay, I have half dozen freshwater tanks, medium planted, with varoius fish (cichlid tanks, community tanks, etc, etc). The main reason for these tanks has been for the fish, with the plants offering aesthetics, and a beneficial by-product. I just bought a 20L and want to create my first aquascape tank (maybe a few tetras for decoration). The main point is I want an all green tank, heavily done in aquatic plants (the ones we all see online and drool about). So I bought the 20L because of the short height (close to lights) and relatively large floor area. I wondered a few things;
1) I need 30" lighting, I assume a T5 with 2 specific plant bulbs is best, versus a standard single bulb lighting system.
2) Do I need extra CO2, if so best ideas for a tank that size (commercial / homemade, etc?)
3) A few recommendations for quick, hardy, lush plants? (first attempt at an intentionally planted tanks, so nothing I'm going to pull my hair out over)
4) Bought some Tahitian Moon Sand for substrate (great contrast of colors), sound okay?
5) I'll supplement with the necessary vitamins/minerals; anything I missed?

My wife is growing tired of all my aquarium purchases recently, so I'm looking for something soothing I can enjoy while in the "dog house" ! :D

Depends on how much work you want .... do you want a low light, low maintenance tank, or a high tech, high light CO2 injected tank?

That would determine your light choice. If you want to go low tech, then something in the 40W range will suffice <eg a 38W PC, or a couple T8's>. For a high tech setup, you would go as high as 80W or more. In that case the T5-HO's are your best bet. <Stock light - around 18-20W? - will prob not get to what you are aiming for.>

You don't need CO2 unless you go high tech. For CO2, a pressurized system is far better than DIY yeast system.

Easy plants: Java fern & moss, Anubias, Crypts. <all those are slow growing> Fast growers: Vals, hornwort, Elodea, Green Hygrophilia. All these are tolerant of low light. If you go high light, you can try far more varieties of plants. But best to get tank established with the easy ones, then add the more demanding ones later.

You might want to consider algae eaters as your first fish .... maybe a school of Otos.

Back
Top Bottom