My New Melon Sword

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prettyvacant

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is my first post in the Planted Tank section... since i finally got a live plant :) I have had my new melon sword plant for a bit more than a week now, and it is doing great. Already a nice new reddish/green leaf is growing very fast! pretty exciting..

But there is one problem. It was my dumb mistake. I was not sure if it was apple snails that ate plants, mystery snails, or another kind. In my 29 gal, i have a large gold snail and one ivory snail. I didn't notice the snails going anywhere near the plant for a couple days, until one day... I saw that a whole stem was missing and one of the leaves had holes in it. I assumed that the snails had a snack, so I put them back in my 10 gal.

Now, my question is, what do I do with the leaf with holes? Pull it off or just leave it be?

Attachments

• picture_54752761.jpg
    picture_54752761.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 87
I'd personally snip it off with very sharp scissors as far down the stem as you can without damaging any other stems. The leaf will continue to deteriorate so might as well.

Congrats on your success with this lovely plant!

Lovely, and gigantic....or at least that was the case with the melon sword I had. Grew to fill up half my 75gallon tank. Impressive, but not what I was after.

Back
Top Bottom