My new plants -- did I plant them right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An t-iasg

Aquarium Advice Addict
I went to the hatchery last week and got a large clump of Cryptocoryne wendti. I put my somewhat melted walkeri in with the big wendti clump and planted it. Should I have pulled this clump apart just a little? It just looks like a clump of roots and stems sticking up from the gravel; maybe I could have done a little better with planting it. I only see one or two leaves that melted. I guess a little bit of melt is to be expected.

In the other tank, I got an anubias nana "petite". This plant wasn't in the plant tank; the owner got it from one of the fry or grow-out tanks upstairs! It's very nice. Is the rhizome the horizontal, thicker "stem"? I did put the smaller, vertical roots into the gravel just a little. Is this ok?

the anubias is planted correctly...the thick horizontal stem is indeed the rhizome, and should be above the gravel, as you have done.

I like to separate my crypts some, but you have to be very gentle or you'll damage the roots and cause severe melting, possibly death to the whole plant.

Thanks, Malkore. I'll try one time to separate the crypts a little. I won't play with it too much. My gravel isn't as bright as it appears! I did boost the color so you could see the roots.

I also got some more java moss (for the new betta -- I also got him on Friday). The first clump is doing a little better now. I "neglected" it because I thought it wasn't growing. It was, and I think a little more attention to it will help it do well. I also got some Seachem Nitrogen as you suggested. I'm at a loss for how to use it. I guess the label gives a good explanation but I don't quite understand. I'm using the Flourish and Flourish Excel but I haven't used the nitrogen yet. Both tanks are low light, 5 gallon, with java moss and a crypt or anubias. The tank with the anubias has a betta and pitbull pleco. The pleco will add to the bioload, making the fert dosage different in this tank -- is that right? The other tank just has a betta.

I'd only start with half the dosage per the bottle, on the Nitrogen. See if a little does anything, but expect a couple of weeks to see any real change.

Thanks again! I'll start off with half the dose and see what that gets the nitrates to. My parameters now are 0-0-0. I'll try to keep the nitrates between 5-10 ppm. It's a good idea to start with the half dose since the fish are used to 0 nitrates (well, I don't know about the two new ones, but my one betta has been used to 0 nitrates for a while now).

I see a lot of cautions about dosing more than a few ppm of nitrates a day...however I konw a lot of long time plant keepers that have no problems dosing 10-15ppm at once.

My advice to dose at half is more to prevent causing an algae bloom.

Back
Top Bottom