My new setup. What do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really nice. Are you going to add anything else to the tank?

Yep, planning to add more fish. Will have 7 gouramis, 1 male betta, a pleco, two skunk Corys and maybe some black neon tetras or other community fish. Won't add more plants, but will add more substrate and rock. And what I have started 3 weeks ago needs to grow in.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This tank is gorgeous, I like the way it almost frames the middle of the tank where the fish will hang out. Super nice, planted well and that path is unreal! Make sure to update with pics!

Nice "trees". I like the black abyss in the middle. Looks like it leads to a deep, dark, mysterious forest.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Reminds of The Lord of The Rings when they enter that evil forest. Spookily awesome!

It's horrible is what I think. Horrible that I can't produce something like this. I'm so jealous right now, I can't even... I can't .. UGH

Sweet looking aquascape. I hope to make something as stunning as yours :p

Well, since your tank is a 75 gallon, you could have a lot more than just 2 cory's. Make that 10-12 cory's :) and as for any schooling fish, you have enough room to do a lot. Maybe some neon tetras or cardinals?

I agree. I have quite a bit more room for more fish. That's a work in progress.

Of course, you always want fish which are compatible in terms of their behavior, level of aggression, trying to avoid fin rippers, etc. With some fish picking male or female can make a difference. Also they cant dig, of course, for a planted aquarium. And you need fish to swim near the top, the middle, and along the bottom. But what is making it more challenging (and fun too, I have to admit) is a self-imposed theme: "Snow White and the Seven Dwarf Gouramis." To me that them fits the aquascape i ended up with.

Still making some decisions on what types of fish to cast as Snow White (female betta, possibly, although potentially risky with the dwarf gouramis), the Evil Queen (small black pleco). After those decisions are made, then i could fill in with other "forest animals," That explains the two skunk corys I have so far. The last of the 7 dwarf gouramis is on order.

A school of cardinals can be annoying to other fish, but I have those in mind as birds. I know, a little crazy. But definitely not boring.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Love it!! I'm using a stump similar to yours only on a much smaller scale and my problem has been algae growing on the top of the branches at the surface. Are you having that problem?

Its a process that involves balancing how well the fish could fit a role versus taking an acceptable risk with compatibility. Like male dwarf gouramis, for example, i have 6 of them (will be 7) and they seem to be getting along reasonably well. Some would say only 1 per tank, others suggest mixing male and females, others say all males okay but involves some risk and i should watch them.

Same thing with mixing a betta with dwarf gouramis. Universally the advice is a male betta and a male dwarf gourami is a bad combination. But, having a female betta with a male dwarf gourami has worked for some people. If I switch to a guppy instead of a betta, then the cardinals would pester the guppy, maybe.

Anyway, I'm making it harder by imposing the theme and I'm willing to take some minor risks on comparability. I do have an empty tank set up and almost finished cycling if there are behavior problems so I could remove and rehome them.

Yes, Reygan. I do have that problem. I treat it using hydrogen peroxide dosing with an oral syringe when the pumps are turned off. I'm working on preventing it by bringing my lights, Co2 and ferts into balance.

I don't know if I will ever be able to prevent it 100% given how close the driftwood comes to the light.

Back
Top Bottom