My Oscars - Are they fighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattfraser

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I have 2 Albine Oscar Cichlids. They are both about 6inches long. They have started chasing each other round in circles and are locking lips (As you know they have big lips)
Are they fighting or something else?

Cheers

Matt

They are testing each others strength. Could be fighting or prelude to mating. Looks about the same. Keep an eye on them. If one is much stronger he could make life hell for the other one. How large a tank are they in?

Welcome to AA!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros:

Locking lips is like hand-to-hand combat among cichlids - your oscars are struggling for dominance over each other. Pretty typical behavior, but you have to watch out in case it escalates to all-out fighting. Melafix is a good filter-safe med to have around in case fins get torn or scales get lost.

How big is your tank? 55 gal is the bare minimum for two oscars...some would even say 75 gal. If your oscars are being housed in anything smaller, the aggression may be caused by overcrowding and will get much worse.

Hi

My tank is a 55g and i know that i will have to get a larger tank or re-home them when they get bigger.
I have Melafix already, cheers.

Matt

Update:

Have spoken to someone i know at a LFS and he says that it is probably part of a breeding/courtship process. He has a 8ft tank at his shop and he is willing to take them off me if i like. He explained that my tank although a little small, my tank is okay at the moment. But as i have what looks like a breeding pair they could really do with a larger tank or atleast the tank to themselves.
I don't want to give these fish away as they are quality but i guess as a fish keeper i have to do what is best for the fish. So tomorrow they will be going to their new home. Just got to work out how to catch them and transfer them with as little stress for them as possible.

Cheers All

Matt

Back
Top Bottom