My planted 29g journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gotthetank up everythig running my dear friend who is giving me a koi angelfish after all my other fish are acclimated just gave me some corkscrew Val's for my background

Attachments

• image-3461758453.jpg
    image-3461758453.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 117
Is that one piece of DW? I looks pretty cool. I've got corkscrew val and really like the look of it. Enjoy your koi angel, I have 3 Koi out of my 14 angels.

Yep

it's one piece, I had to break out the big pot to boil it, I have finally figured my stock and ordered the rest of my plants
Plants,
Crypt wendtii then the front ground covered with dwarf baby tears

Fish,
6 cherry barbs
6 rummy nose tetras
6 cardinal tetras
5 otos
and the koi as the centerpiece
Some would say its alot but with the amount of plants and canister filter I should be fine

Don't know what your lighting is but the dwarf baby tears need higher light. The DW looks to throw alot of shade to the front which could cause issues for the DBT. Crypts on the other hand would do great in that shade. I have a couple big pieces of DW in my big tank and had to use lower light plants in that area. Another thing, my angels liked to nibble on the new DBT leaves so don't be surprized if you see your guy picking at it. They never ate enough to do it any harm but just don't want you shocked if you see nibbling going on.

I planned on the crypts to be under the dw maybe just to the dbt around the edge, but I have 2 t5HO with some extra marine land hidden lighting for some accent blue and white LEDs. I was wondering if that would be enough but if it doesn't look like they are growing ill just add another light, I also have Eco complete with root tabs, I dose with flourish complete and I have a co2 system in there. I think it will be pretty good, whatcha think?

so i got the crypts in and i get the dbt tomorrow i look at it now and think i need more crypts but i have to remember that with all the supplements it will fill in well, i forgot to buy a drop checker so that is my next order im just not sure if i should go with the fluval or the aquaculture one? what do you think?
i think ill wait to turn the co2 on till that comes in
i have my cherry barbs cause im doing a fish in cycle
and i know they are quite hardy fish
with the intake sponge from my 10, the plants and fish the tank should cycle fairly quick, probably by the end of the month or earlier.

As for filters I have expierence with Fluvals only so can't be much help there except to say I have always had good luck with Fluvals.

its not a filter, though thank you i do like their filters i have the c2 on my 10 but i was referring to a drop checker/co2 indicator i need to order one quick i guess ill go with the fluval since alot of their stuff is legit.

Annakhil said:
its not a filter, though thank you i do like their filters i have the c2 on my 10 but i was referring to a drop checker/co2 indicator i need to order one quick i guess ill go with the fluval since alot of their stuff is legit.

Any drop checker you like the look of should work out fine as long as you use 4dKH solution and standard pH reagent. I ordered my last drop checker and solutions from the sell forums on theplantedtank's site but I imagine somebody on the sell threads here has got em.

An updated pic, I already have ordered more moss, crypts, hc
And they're throwing in some bonus nano Marimo balls

Attachments

• image-2592854270.jpg
    image-2592854270.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 100
Does anyone know how longi shoulder the co2, i have it running at one bubble per 3 seconds until my drop checker comes in

Annakhil said:
Does anyone know how long I should run the co2, i have it running at one bubble per 3 seconds until my drop checker comes in

I have mine turn on about 2 hours before the lights and shut off about half an hour before the lights go out. This is to get the co2 level full strength before the lights come on. It helps the plants grow right away and keeps algae down.

I'm saving up for this electronic regulator I saw on aquariumplants.com it's $300 but it can be on a timer with my lights and you can set the bubble per sec to 1/1000 of a sec, I think that will have to wait till next month.

I'm wondering if its ok that my nitrates are that low being that it's heavily planted, it's really esteem 0-5 ppm

Attachments

• image-3595014185.jpg
    image-3595014185.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 87
Annakhil said:
I'm saving up for this electronic regulator I saw on aquariumplants.com it's $300 but it can be on a timer with my lights and you can set the bubble per sec to 1/1000 of a sec, I think that will have to wait till next month.

I use a Milwaukee pH controller to run my solenoid. You should be able to get a control system for cheaper than $300. Solenoids can be had for about $50 or sometimes less (I like DC over AC models because they produce less heat) and a pH controller is often around $120.

Honestly, a simple solenoid and a timer system would be fine. I just like having a controller (never have to check my pH with a kit) but it isn't at all necessary. $300 bucks seems pricy but it may be worth it to you. I haven't seen the system you're looking at. Time to go on the PC! lol

Back
Top Bottom