Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2007, 11:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

My Planted Tank on the Balcony

I've been wanting to use natural sunlight with a planted tank for some time now and I've finally gotten around to putting things in motion. I was inspired by a Spanish gentleman's tank (I can't remember his name but will post references when I can find them).

I've moved my 30G long tank with ADA Aquasoil to a stand on my balcony that allows it take full advantage of the southern exposure I've got. I know it's early in the year (late February/early March) to put a tank outside in Colorado, but I've got two heavy-duty Ebo-Jager heaters keeping it warm. Even at 20 degrees F outside, the tank remains above 50 degrees F. I am not planning on stocking it with fish due to the likely temperature variances. It is currently only stocked with hardy plants to test it out.

I am injecting CO2 and currently only running a QuickFilter on the tank. If more filtration becomes necessary, I will add it. Here are the pics of the setup. More will follow as things progress

The CO2 feed coming off of my three-way manifold that goes out to the tank:

The small hole in the wall for the CO2 that my landlord probably wouldn't be happy about:

The exterior hole for the CO2:

A shot of the diffuser pumping away :

The tank on the day I set it up. A bit cloudy with debris:

The tank tonight, during a snow storm here in Englewood. It has cleared up nicely and I haven't noticed any algae issues at all in the five days it has been up and running. Note the snow on the wood sticking out of the top of the tank :

Old 02-28-2007, 11:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Cool pics Travis. It will be interesting to see how it makes out through the temp variants.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hawt. Or cool?
Watch our thread! A MyCatsDrool and Travis Simonson Joint Production....55 Tanganyikan Tank. It is hidden in the photography showcase. It is really my tank, but Trav is helping and we live next door from each other...so....

CCTV Has shut its doors. Off the air.
5.5 gal ADA rimless cube, fully planted, killifish breeder. coming soon to a forum near you.
It's called Sex Panther, by Odeon. Illegal in 9 countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
MyCatsDrool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very cool, it will indeed be very interesting to watch this one. Your neighbours must be wondering what the heck your doing!
90 gallon, Crypt undulata "broad leaf" Lobelia cardinalis small and large form. H.corymbosa "compact" Crypt parva, Crypt Red Wendetti Downoi, Bacopa, Samolus Valerandi, Limnophilla Aromatica Alternanthera Reineckii lilacina(purple)
2x 150 Wt 10000k HQI Metal Halide, 2x 65 Wt 6700k-Colourmax
Glenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:35 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Interesting!

Is that a faint view of the mountains that I see in the background?

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:16 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was going to suggest that you add some foam insulation - but that would block the light.

Do you have to pay the electricity at your place? 8O 8O

Looks like a fun project
Old 03-01-2007, 08:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to donk1667
looking good travis ! good luck on that
75 gal,planted,co2,diy defuser,gw ferts,l,223 watts of usable light 3 wpg,rena xp3 & marinebiowheel 350 "taking out biowheel" and lots of help thanks all!!!and the plants come from a MAD SCIENTIST ;]and now the fish15harliqun rasboras,7neons,8cardnails tetras,6 black skirt tetras,3flying foxes,3 algae shrimp,6zebra dannios,1rubber lip,1redtail shark[i]
donk1667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:37 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to kaaikop
Cool stuff, Travis! That is thinking outside of the box, for sure.
I dont think you could do this here though... when it Minus 30C, LOL

Hey BTW, how is the nitrate tester doing? I am really fed up with my test kit,
between different shades of pink, it's really hard to tell where I'm at...
seriously considering getting one such tester.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very nicely done...thisone should be fun to see as spring and summer pass

Have you considered using polypropylene tubing for the CO2, as silicone tubing may have low temerature issues. Not to mention it is not so hardy to UV exposure.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:57 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would add a glass top. It will keep a significant amount of heat in and have minimal effect on the amount of sun you get.

29 Gal Planted, 1.2 wpg, Estes Gravel
gfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:39 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would like to come worship your outdoor tank.

(glass top = good idea. Sucks I wasn't the one to think of it. And then again, it wouldn't look nearly as cool as snow on driftwood sticking out of the top of the tank.)
Watch our thread! A MyCatsDrool and Travis Simonson Joint Production....55 Tanganyikan Tank. It is hidden in the photography showcase. It is really my tank, but Trav is helping and we live next door from each other...so....

5.5 gal ADA rimless cube, fully planted, killifish breeder. coming soon to a forum near you.
It's called Sex Panther, by Odeon. Illegal in 9 countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:09 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCatsDrool
I would like to come worship your outdoor tank.

(glass top = good idea. Sucks I wasn't the one to think of it. And then again, it wouldn't look nearly as cool as snow on driftwood sticking out of the top of the tank.)

That is some cutting-edge aquaristing...aquariuming....tanking....WHATEVER that you're doing there. COOL!!

Remember that Darwin was mostly right!
plecoperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:45 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by An t-iasg
Interesting!

Is that a faint view of the mountains that I see in the background?
Yes, in the faint distance you might see some peaks

Yes, it is covered. No, I am not protecting any of the species that are currently in the tank. So far, so good. An experiment.

Oh, and I didn't have enough polypropolyne. I'll get some later
Old 03-06-2007, 07:29 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Amazingly enough all of the plants I've put in the tank as test pilots are still alive and doing well. I've even got a colony of MTS that hitchhiked in on the Java fern and I find on the glass in the morning when water temps are ~50F! What the heck? I didn't think those guys would like anything less than 70F but they're cruising around the tank, even when it's as cold as a good beer. Tough little buggers
Old 03-06-2007, 08:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
LOL, IME MTS are very hardy. Updated pics?

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:35 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK, here's an updated picture of the tank that I took today. It has been almost two weeks now and, amazingly enough, I'm not having any algae issues at all, although that may have a lot to do with the nighttime temps :P

Old 03-07-2007, 10:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I see great potential in you, young jedi. The force is strong with you. The Dark Side is strong, my young padewan.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:00 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very cool, looking good!
90 gallon, Crypt undulata "broad leaf" Lobelia cardinalis small and large form. H.corymbosa "compact" Crypt parva, Crypt Red Wendetti Downoi, Bacopa, Samolus Valerandi, Limnophilla Aromatica Alternanthera Reineckii lilacina(purple)
2x 150 Wt 10000k HQI Metal Halide, 2x 65 Wt 6700k-Colourmax
Glenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:46 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
I gotta say that is the coolest thign I've seen, almost as cool as when I knocked a giant hoel in the wall whiel my parents where gone and installed a 29 gallon in my closest so it could be seen in the computer room, lets just say that didn't go to well, actually started a huge fight on here and I almost go tkicke doff the site, but great looking tank, nice home to!!!
Old 03-08-2007, 07:35 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
You know, white cloud minnows live in temperatures of 42 to 78 degrees Fahrenheit.

Quite a cool concept.. (literally).

I can just picture you working on the scape w/ a wetsuit on to stay warm.

Tags
plant, planted, planted tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com