Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2016, 09:01 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hah, yeah would have been a little bit of everything then. Filter clean, filter floss replacement, dying algae, some filter bacteria killed by H2O2

Sent using Aquarium Advice app

Old 09-17-2016, 06:12 AM   #22

It's been a while.

I stopped posting in this thread because I got frustrated and felt like I wasn't making any progress - despite my best efforts the plants didn't grow well and collected a lot of algae.

But on the 31st of July I set up a CO2 system and since then I have seen a marked improvement in plant growth.

These six are from May 25 to July 28. Little growth, worsening BBA:
Click image for larger version

Name:	May to July - Copy.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	289337

July 31, the day I set up the CO2

Name:	2016 07 31.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	289338

August 13

Name:	2016 08 13.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	289339

August 21

Name:	2016 08 21.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	289340

(picture limit)

Old 09-17-2016, 06:16 AM   #23

August 28

Name:	2016 08 28.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	289341

September 11

Name:	2016 09 11.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	289342

For the first time I think I'm going to have to do some pruning
Old 09-17-2016, 08:47 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Congrats on the progress! Looks like the plants are responding very well to the addition of CO2.
As for the air stones, you might want to consider either removing them or running them on a timer set to ON only in the evening hours. While on during the day (rather, when the CO2 is being injected) it will help drive CO2 out of the water by surface movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 09-17-2016, 09:39 AM   #25
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

My PPS-Pro experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTwoRedBlue View Post
For the first time I think I'm going to have to do some pruning

Congrats, liking the shots.

(Is that driftwood in there?)
Old 09-17-2016, 12:09 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

My PPS-Pro experiment

Congrats on the co2 system. The benefits of adding co2 cannot be matched.

Keep posting. Even if things are not going your way. We have to share our struggles as well as our achievements. We can all take something from the information whether positive or negative.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
Congrats on the progress! Looks like the plants are responding very well to the addition of CO2.
As for the air stones, you might want to consider either removing them or running them on a timer set to ON only in the evening hours. While on during the day (rather, when the CO2 is being injected) it will help drive CO2 out of the water by surface movement.
Thanks Fresh2o! The tank is in my office but right before I set up the CO2 I was sent to a client site and have been there for the last month and a half. My colleagues kindly feed the fish and keep an eye on them but I'm not around enough for close monitoring. I initially started out with the airstones off and almost gassed the fish, so for now I'll keep it inefficient for the sake of my fishies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool
Congrats, liking the shots.

(Is that driftwood in there?)
Thanks Delapool. Yes, that is one very BBA-covered driftwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07
Congrats on the co2 system. The benefits of adding co2 cannot be matched.

Keep posting. Even if things are not going your way. We have to share our struggles as well as our achievements. We can all take something from the information whether positive or negative.
Cheers Caliban, I guess I just got discouraged feeling like I was investing a lot (money, time, thought, emotional energy) with little return. Things are looking better now though I think what I've learned is that for goldfish in a planted tank I need to match their high nitrate output with high everything else.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:45 AM   #28

Spent about 5 hours working on the tank today.

A lot of the plants had really long bare stalks because the few leaves they would grow got all covered in BBA or the fish would nibble and tear them, so I would trim them. They also seemed to be stretching themselves up towards the surface (greater atmospheric CO2 up there? probably). After adding CO2 the result was lots of leaves up by the surface (even growing above the water) on long, mostly bare stalks.

So I pulled up all the plants and cut their stalks off, did a really big water change and gravel vac, cleaned the glass, replanted everything and scrubbed the rocks and driftwood with my algae scrubbing toothbrush. I also elevated the lights about 2 inches.

Excited to see how it goes.

Name:	20160918_193157 - Copy.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	289356
Old 09-18-2016, 04:57 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTwoRedBlue View Post
Spent about 5 hours working on the tank today.

A lot of the plants had really long bare stalks because the few leaves they would grow got all covered in BBA or the fish would nibble and tear them, so I would trim them. They also seemed to be stretching themselves up towards the surface (greater atmospheric CO2 up there? probably). After adding CO2 the result was lots of leaves up by the surface (even growing above the water) on long, mostly bare stalks.

So I pulled up all the plants and cut their stalks off, did a really big water change and gravel vac, cleaned the glass, replanted everything and scrubbed the rocks and driftwood with my algae scrubbing toothbrush. I also elevated the lights about 2 inches.

Excited to see how it goes.

Attachment 289356

Yeah sounds like you still need to dial in the co2 to get that balance. I'm at the same point with my new fire extinguisher. The plants can't take up to 3 weeks to adjust their new leaves to the new co2 availability so I'm expecting mine to take that long to get motoring again.

Keep us posted 🙂

Tags
pps-pro, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com