My pressurized co2 setup & multiple tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmoney87

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey my fellow AA members,

I got a quick question for you. Ive come down with MTS, and now want to convert my 29g to a planted utopia. Ive already ordered the lights and with 130wats PC 6700k over 29g aquarium should give me very good light, with this I know that unless im injecting co2 it will just become a a solid green glass box of alage and nastyness.. with that being said Im currently running a pressurized co2 system 20lb co2 bottle, milwaukee reg, and ph controller on my 75g .. yes I know your right but you cant have it :D anyways I was hoping that there is a way to inject both tanks from the same co2 setup. eg not having to go out and buy another bottle and regulator etc.. since its not cheap.. at all. I thought I could just "T" the co2 line but someone told me that that will not work. Why is that?

thanks in advance ,

davE

That's the exact one I use and same place I got it from, IIRC.

It has individual needle valves and bubble counters, as you can see, so you can control each tank individually.

I have a question about this working correctly.

You stated that you use a PH Controller, which I assume has the probe in your existing tank larger tank.

If you have a splitter on your regulator as shown in the ebay auction, how will you meet the demands of the smaller tank when the big tank is the one determining the CO2 output through the controller?

I.E. if the PH controller clicks "On" because the CO2 in your large tank has diminished, your smaller tank could be overloaded with CO2 or vice verses.

^my thoughts exactly, you may have to eliminate your pH controller if you want to do this and either run it 24/7 or run it on a timer

Yes, that's my understanding too. With one CO2 tank hooked up to multiple aquariums, you run the CO2 24/7 on both tanks or use a timer to turn the CO2 on and off with the tank lights. You can't use a pH controller in only one of the aquariums to disperse the CO2 in both aquariums.

About your "T" line question - that won't work because of the different pressures throughout the line. One tank may end up getting all the CO2 and another tank might get none.

I have a question about this working correctly.

You stated that you use a PH Controller, which I assume has the probe in your existing tank larger tank.

If you have a splitter on your regulator as shown in the ebay auction, how will you meet the demands of the smaller tank when the big tank is the one determining the CO2 output through the controller?

I.E. if the PH controller clicks "On" because the CO2 in your large tank has diminished, your smaller tank could be overloaded with CO2 or vice verses.

hmm good call. Well i sure as heck aint getting rid of my ph controller for my big tank because that thing is a godsend not to mention it cost alot of money lol.. ok well jeez neiliah where were you on this one =p .. so either

a) I let my ph contoller determine the amount of co2 for both my tanks and see how that goes..

b) I suck it up and buy another pressurized co2 setup loL

Ok well on that note I have a question for yall who are running pressurized co2 but without the ph controller.. because from reading my phC the ph is hugely affected when the co2 is running eg it drops back down within seconds or minutes of the co2 being turned on.. it barely clicks on more than id say 3 or 4 times a day.. with that being said I would think that if I ran it 24/7 or even on a timer with the lights .. that it would be injecting way more than needed?....

-davE

not to mention what it would do to my ph values .. wonder how low it would go if it was injected 24/7 lol right now mines set for ph of 6.3 - 6.5

The fish don't care much about pH dropping because of CO2 injection. As I understand it the kH and GH drop that is usually associated with a pH drop is what gets them

You could still run the pH Controller on the large aquarium, you'd just have to plumb it so that the selanoid is after the manifold running to the larger aquarium.

Exactly what purrbox said. Takes a little bit of plumbing work, but you can move the solenoid so that it's after the split rather than before. You can also buy just solenoids if you want independant ones for each split.

Personally, I run my CO2 with the lights on, and have all my tanks on the same lighting schedule. I don't use a controller, have never found a need for one.

I think you could also tinker with a few days, and adjust the flow on the smaller tank so that it stays in a safe range for fish, but above whatever minimum value you are looking for based on how the pH controller runs the larger tank. Just keep an eye on it, and adjust the bubble count on the smaller tank until you hit a range of CO2 that you are aiming for. Constant CO2 concentration is not crucial... just constant above a minimum.

Does that make any sense?

Back
Top Bottom