Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

my swords turning clear!

so i planted some melon swords last week and the leaves are turning a wierd light brown and clear color.what does this mean???/

ive been putting in flourish and nitrogen 1 time a week.....i dont know if its my cichlids messing with them but theres a couple nips out of the leaves but nothing major.....

should i dose flourish more than 1 time a week ??

i have 2 watts per gallon and i was going to get some excel and root tabs tomorrow....do u think they can come back to life or is it to late

help please

Old 03-29-2011, 04:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I haven't delt with plants a lot, but I had three little plants in my tank When they stared to die, they turned clear and brownish.

I'm not sure if you can save them.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My amazon sword started doing that when I first got it. I doubled my lighting (3w/g) and added root tabs. It has recovered and is growing like crazy now I'm not sure which it was that saved it, lighting or root tabs, or maybe it just needed to settle in after I bought it, but it can recover
Old 03-29-2011, 05:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdryder7
so i planted some melon swords last week and the leaves are turning a wierd light brown and clear color.what does this mean???/

ive been putting in flourish and nitrogen 1 time a week.....i dont know if its my cichlids messing with them but theres a couple nips out of the leaves but nothing major.....

should i dose flourish more than 1 time a week ??

i have 2 watts per gallon and i was going to get some excel and root tabs tomorrow....do u think they can come back to life or is it to late

help please
Edit: As long as your sure it's melon and not brazilian. A LFS sells 1 as the other lol.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App
Old 03-29-2011, 07:02 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Swords are heavy root feeders. Dosing ferts in the water column doesn't help swords out much. You need to get some root tabs down in your substrate. They will perk back up after some time.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok also i was wondering about what i read that your carbon in your canister kills all the macro nutes that u need and i just got new carbon two weeks ago.....so if anyone can chime in about that it would really help...

i just picked up the root tabs and excel
Old 03-30-2011, 12:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
ok also i was wondering about what i read that your carbon in your canister kills all the macro nutes that u need and i just got new carbon two weeks ago.....so if anyone can chime in about that it would really help...

i just picked up the root tabs and excel
Never heard of that, but carbon does scrub the water pretty good. Something for bigjim or rookie to comment on I think.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:11 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

ya i read it on one of the stickys on planted tanks or A>S ......so another Q i had was if thatd the case should i add flourish everday or everyother day cause on the bottle it says once a week???

help me ive been going through plants like crazy
Old 03-30-2011, 12:16 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
ya i read it on one of the stickys on planted tanks or A>S ......so another Q i had was if thatd the case should i add flourish everday or everyother day cause on the bottle it says once a week???

help me ive been going through plants like crazy
I split the dose over 2 days in a week. Seems a bit much once a week IMO.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

i agree ive just been praying for something to work.......its hard enough with the turtles nipping the leaves and the cichlids messing with them.....lol ......

Tags
clear

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com