My Tank Looks A Mess - Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
greenmaji said:
What are your NO3 and PO4 readings currently?

hmm.. I think I stated wich ones before :biglol:

If you dont have a testkit for phosphate.. you need to get one..
your PO4 levels need to be kept at 1ppm for every 10ppm of nitrate

Steven_Askham said:
One min I will test the nitrate now. What do you mean by ppm I ahev the test where it is colour coded lol.

parts per million=ppm your color codeing should have a key to parts per million on it..

The colour is the best one you can get. So I am happy as it means my water is fine :)
Maybe to good lol ..... :lol:

Its not on the colour coded sheet I think that it was on a seperate sheet, that i might of threw out with the box lol :oops: .

So in conclusion my problem is not enough nutrients ...

Thank you for all your help greenmaji :)

ok.. you need to read your testkits instructions to see were the ppm are on your color coded result chart.. yes the best result is likely zero ppm of NO3 and thats why you have a canobacteria outbreak.. so you might want to rethink your happiness on the complete lack of NO3 in your planted tank.. :p

lol, Thank you greenmaji, But I havnt actually done anything wrong in my tank have I. Its just that I have kept it in good condition but not for plants lol :)

maybe someone can help you on getting the information that came with your NO3 testkit.. what brand is it? heck.. if I have it Ill go look it up for you.. :p
If you cant find this informaiton.. youll need another NO3 testkit that you will be able to read for ppm so you can dose it correctly for your plants..
the help isnt a problem.. :p

I must be good at keeping tanks clean just not keeping plants. Thank you alot greenmaji, I know my lfs has these ones so I will check there :).

Steven_Askham said:
lol, Thank you greenmaji, But I havnt actually done anything wrong in my tank have I. Its just that I have kept it in good condition but not for plants lol :)

No.. It was just lack of information on your part, If I noticed that you put live plants in your tank a while back I would have warned you of this back then.. it is safe to assume that 0 NO3 is a great thing for fish!!! but.. plants need some form of nitrogen to survive and NO3 is the least harmfull of them(ammonia and nitrite being other forms of nitrogen that plants can consume) for the fish..

:lol: .. we needed to do this in the chatroom.. :lol:

this is a mess.. :D

Your plants kept your tank clean.. :p
Now return them the favor and feed them.. :p
just giving you a hard time.. :mrgreen:

Keeping plants free of algae can be tough some times. Especially if you make any drastic changes in the type/number of plants in a tank. I had a bad case of cyanobacteria when I first planted my newest 20 gallon long tank but it is almost perfect now since I adjusted the nutrient dosing schedule and added some more plants.

Back
Top Bottom