my temporary co2 setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'll get to work on the new reactor tomorrow... looks like i need to pick up an airstone and one of the coarse AC filter pads.

ok, totally new plans. on my way to work tonight, i started thinking about how i can build an mini external reactor. i have a pretty good idea of what i want to do, but i'll have to sketch it out a little more in my mind. i'll let you all know how it goes...

initial test was good, the design is effective and simple. the only problem i've run into - a rio50 can't push enough water. it looks like a rio 180 or 600 will be needed. any suggestion on which one to go with? in a few minutes i'll post a picture of the bathroom sink test...

that didn't take long to do...

ok, so this is what's going on. it's another gravel filter CO2 reactor. the foam on the inside of the chamber is some insanely overprice aquaclear coarse foam that fits an AC20. it was a 3-pack, and i used 2 inserts. the airstone is a top fin. the CO2 generator is based on shawmutt's recipe. it really cranks out the juice and has been going strong for about a week.

as you can see, the rio 50 can't pump enough water to completely fill the chamber. i'll probably go ahead and get the rio 600 to make sure i have enough power...

Do u using canister filter? If so, why not use the canister filter's outlet instead? In long run, as the water from canister filter is filtered, the reactor will remain clean longer compare to pumping unfilter water into the reactor. Just my $0.02.

HTH

it's just a 10gal tank, so there is no canister filter. i use a whisper power filter and plants as my filtration. the 85gal i'm building has a cannister and i already have the reactor for that built. all i need to know is if the rio 600 will work for this, which i think should. what about the 180?

it seems that even when hooked up to the faucet via the python assembly, the chamber doesn't not fill up completely. it has to be turned completely upside down to let all the air bubbles out....

[edit]
i figured out what was causing the excess bubbles, resolved it, and did another test. with the proper flow rate, the system works great. some of the tests i did involved squeezing the co2 generator and creating a large burst of bubbles. it takes about 15 seconds for the bubbles to go from this size [--> o ] to impercieveable. all i need now is the rio 600 and a small check valve!

Back
Top Bottom