My ten gallon low light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Moved the Java Fern to the back, moved a clump of Baby Tears in its place. I still want Vals for the back. I also really need to touch up my background, the gray speckles are starting to bother me. Sorry for the out of focus Fern as well, the lens I was using wasn't cooperating with me.

img_1203003_0_d15ed26eb0013b0c4a2004c4bc14ee82.jpg

What do you guys think of the longer stems on the Crypts? Do you think I should trim the longer ones off? They look kind of crazy...not sure if I like some being much longer than the others.

Also, I'm going to be ordering some Excel. My plants have been looking a little limp and I feel it'll help. I dose Flourish twice a week in small doses; should I dose these two together at the same time?

I like the longer stems... looks interesting.

Excel is good stuff. I would dose them on alternate days.

Alright so I was watching a video by Dustinsfishtanks (on YouTube, awesome planted channel) and he was talking about Crypts, and how if they start to get all bushy you can successfully separate them. I'm doing a water change right now and I decided to pull all the Baby Tears; they were all slowly dying so there was no point. I pulled up the Crypt on the left and decided to separate it. Stems felt a little flimsy, but the roots underneath were enormous and healthy. I noticed a nice chunk with an almost separate looking rhizome, so I separated it there. I'm expecting both pieces to melt pretty profusely, but they will recover most likely. I know it currently looks centered, but I need to see how things grow in.

The right side of my tank is pretty bare. I don't know what to put there. I'm still planning on Vals in the back to surround the Java Fern. I guess for the right side, I want a sort of ground cover like a carpet, but I've heard that's hard to achieve with low light. What do you guys think would look nice to fill the foreground of my tank? If you can envision it, I am going to try and go for a "step-like" scape; low plants in the front, the Crypts to fill the middle, and the Val and Fern along the back.Thanks!

I'm lovin' these Crypts, man. Gorgeous plant!
img_1211709_0_fb3585d9cc2f07bdae75e64b9333696e.jpg

img_1211709_1_91178b98dd814f49b38fe9487c7aa55d.jpg

would you consider micro swords? they look beautiful to me...that's just me of course. and i think it will go great on the right side.

I think the microswords would look great if you have the light to support it.

Alright so I am looking to order plants. From what I can see, there are tons more options for low light plants on the net (obviously) than at my LFS. I have been browsing Sweet Aquatics, but I am curious of other good sites? Somewhere preferably with cheap shipping...I'm a broke college student, after all.

I have had great luck with aquariumplants.com

I have bought from them many times... and they usually have a good selection.

Back
Top Bottom