my ten gallon planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tifta

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,
I just got pictures of my ten gallon planted tank. I just got some more plants today and thought I would share them with you. I am still not finished but it looks better than what it did before.

here is what it looked like before :

BEFORE
img_885655_0_8c8ff3102297f4ba62dd135ef4a0b4b1.jpg

AFTER
tifta-albums-10+g+tank-picture1109-works-tank.jpg

tifta-albums-10+g+tank-picture1110-works-tank.jpg

tifta-albums-10+g+tank-picture1111-works-tank.jpg

I am happy with it, since this is my first planted tank, and I still have so much to do with the tank. You can tell I am a noob :p

Amy,
I think it looks beautiful! Great job! Love your driftwood and what substrate are you using? I was thinking of going with something that color in my new 29 gallon...it is so pretty!

Amy,
I think it looks beautiful! Great job! Love your driftwood and what substrate are you using? I was thinking of going with something that color in my new 29 gallon...it is so pretty!

Thanks dottie :)

the subtracts i am using are Flourite Black sand. I got it off big Al's for 14.99. I love it, but it was a pain to clean. It is so dust. It is worth cleaning though. I really like the look, and it really brings the colors of the fish out.

Thanks dottie :)

the subtracts i am using are Flourite Black sand. I got it off big Al's for 14.99. I love it, but it was a pain to clean. It is so dust. It is worth cleaning though. I really like the look, and it really brings the colors of the fish out.

Okay...questions....how much of it was $14.99? and how much would I need for my 29 gallon? How did you clean it, exactly? Outside with a bucket and hose, inside with a colander? I have some black gravel that my daughter wanted to put in her betta tank, but it was taking so long to rinse that she got tired and I let her use one of my easier rinsing gravels. Literally, she rinsed it about 20 times and it was still coloring the water black. So, what is the best way to rinse the flourite black sand?

tank looks great!!! nice job on the plants. (y)(y) thumbs up. looks like all you need now is a dark background and some time for the plants to grow in.

Okay...questions....how much of it was $14.99? and how much would I need for my 29 gallon? How did you clean it, exactly? Outside with a bucket and hose, inside with a colander? I have some black gravel that my daughter wanted to put in her betta tank, but it was taking so long to rinse that she got tired and I let her use one of my easier rinsing gravels. Literally, she rinsed it about 20 times and it was still coloring the water black. So, what is the best way to rinse the flourite black sand?

Dottie - 14.99 is for a 15lbs bag. It filled my tank about 2 inches. I could have used another bag, but I didn't have the funds at the time. It seems to be working. for your tank I would say about maybe 4 bags or more.

I used one of my coolers to put the sand in and then put it into the tub. I don't have a hose outside cause I live in an apartment. I washed it for about 2 hours and then put it into the tank and it took about a week, after I cleaned it before it became undusty. It was a pain in the butt, but worth it.

Thanks for the comps! I am hoping everything grows well. I'd like to be able to fill in the spaces with growth. My fish seem happier too.

I think a black background would be nice Matt. I'll keep that in mind. :)

looks so much better now. I've got a couple little suggestions though, I'd move that crypt in the front left back a little, it's pretty tall and kinda messes up the foreground. Also, the kind of mess of floating stuff on the top right is kinda distracting.

Overall it looks great though, just trying to be helpful :)

Dottie - 14.99 is for a 15lbs bag. It filled my tank about 2 inches. I could have used another bag, but I didn't have the funds at the time. It seems to be working. for your tank I would say about maybe 4 bags or more.

Geez....$14.99 x four...yikes. What I was wondering was if I could mix this black aquarium gravel I have with some of the black fluorite sand?? I got one small bag of the black gravel that we didn't end up using....I could use that maybe and cut it down to three bags of fluorite, maybe??
Well, it looks good, whatever you did. I still can't picture how you washed it and how I could speed it up under the two hour mark for rinsing (I'm not sure my back could take that). Anybody got any tips on how they rinse their substrate? I would rather do it outside and not clog any drains in the house with sand.

Geez....$14.99 x four...yikes. What I was wondering was if I could mix this black aquarium gravel I have with some of the black fluorite sand?? I got one small bag of the black gravel that we didn't end up using....I could use that maybe and cut it down to three bags of fluorite, maybe??
Well, it looks good, whatever you did. I still can't picture how you washed it and how I could speed it up under the two hour mark for rinsing (I'm not sure my back could take that). Anybody got any tips on how they rinse their substrate? I would rather do it outside and not clog any drains in the house with sand.

50/50 mix is what is commonly considered the most you should do.

I use a 5 gallon bucket outside that's about half filled with sand (or whatever substrate) and stick a hose down into the botton of it and mix the sand around until it's clear.

50/50 mix is what is commonly considered the most you should do.

I use a 5 gallon bucket outside that's about half filled with sand (or whatever substrate) and stick a hose down into the botton of it and mix the sand around until it's clear.

Hey, thanks. I can completely picture that in my head. So, using one small bag of black gravel to three bags of 15lb black fluorite would be fine, that is more fluorite than gravel....

Hey, thanks. I can completely picture that in my head. So, using one small bag of black gravel to three bags of 15lb black fluorite would be fine, that is more fluorite than gravel....

That should be fine. Just wash it really good!!

looking good tifta ...14.99 i wish here in canada is 29.99 7 kg bag lol

looking good tifta ...14.99 i wish here in canada is 29.99 7 kg bag lol

Gee that is a lot! I guess with shipping and all it came to $23.00, but that is still better than 29.99. I am glad I only put it into my ten gallon. I couldn't imagine how much it would have cost to put it into my 55 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom